Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americans in Deep Shi'ite

Options
  • 07-04-2004 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Another definition of the acronym AIDS, perhaps?

OK so now they've upset one of the communities who welcomed them in. And guess what, these guys shoot back and are not afraid of martyrdom. Sometimes I wish they'd teach proper history in school in America. They might begin with a brief history of Israel's adventures in Lebanon in the 1980s.

There too the invading Israelis were welcomed with open arms by the Shi'ites, who hadn't a generally good experience at the hands of PAlestinian guerilla fighters. Within two years however, opinions had changed and the Israelis were facing a fanatical Shi'ite resistance employing such tactics as suicide bombing, which the Israelis could only counter with the 'shoot anything that moves' philosophy.

Eventually the Izzies gave up and went home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

These are the same people who rose up against sadam at the end of the gulf war in 1991, sadam didnt have much problems mopping the floor with them, however I cant see the yanks using the same tactics as sadam can you :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Originally posted by Nuttzz
    These are the same people who rose up against sadam at the end of the gulf war in 1991, sadam didnt have much problems mopping the floor with them, however I cant see the yanks using the same tactics as sadam can you :ninja:
    They've learned since then, and their tactics are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I'd just like to note my objection to the abominable pun in the title of this thread. Shame on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

i think its a rather groovy pun...., the americans are changing they're tactics, Donny Rumsfeld has finally realised they're overstretched in iraq

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

But its still in danger of becoming the new Vietnam. If (or when) America pulls out methinks an almighty civil war will break out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by cc
    i think its a rather groovy pun...., the americans are changing they're tactics, Donny Rumsfeld has finally realised they're overstretched in iraq

Despite having said to the media in the last day or so that if more troops were requested by the miltiary commanders in Iraq, they would be supplied????

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

isn't that a sign they've been over-stretched during the last months??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Rumsfeld is well known for his view that the US military needs to be more efficient, using technology to compensate for manpower and resources. He was proven right in the defeat of the Iraqi army - the US overran the Iraqis quite easily.

Since then, the problem has been securing the peace and theres no substitute for having a prescence on every street - this is where the more for less philosophy has fallen down. Hopefully Rumsfeld is actually making available greater numbers of troops and resources and isnt just saying it for the benefit of the media. Sending more troops in would be interpreted badly in an election year - and thats the problem, every decision is going to be made with an eye to the elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

If (or when) America pulls out methinks an almighty civil war will break out.

Not only that but the result would be a terrorist-harbouring rogue state which would make 1980s Lebanon and Afghanistan under the Taliban look like a day out at the seaside by comparison.

I think the Americans will crush the current uprising in a few weeks but I think they might have to be prepared to do the same thing every 6-12 months.

On the hopeful side don't forget that the 1968 Tet Offensive was a military disaster for the Vietnamese communists. It destroyed the Viet Cong and thereafter the US forces were mainly fighting North Vietnamese Army regular troops. Also the insurgents in Iraq while fanatic and determined are nowhere near as militarily formidable as the Vietnamese Communists. (Just under 500 American dead in Iraq since last year? - only the casualties of a lively week in Vietnam)

That invading in the first place was a bad idea is irrelevant at this stage. They simply have to stay and slog it out as the consequences of a withdrawal for our security is dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Comparing it to Vietnam is rather misleading. There is no equivalent of the NVA in this conflict, with no external powerful backers of the 'opposition' forces to supply men and equipment. Further, there has been little sign (well, until recently.. but it still largely applies) of a definitive command structure and an associated strategic goal. A more appropriate example may be Isreal/Lebanon where it was soley a guerilla force combatting an occupying force. One can only hope that the Americans also realise the similaritys and learn the appropriate lessons in time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement