Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passport to travel within EU

• 07-04-2004 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a simple question.

In order to travel within the EU, do you need a passeport or is it still ok to show any ID such as Driving Licence ?

I know it was ok to to this in the past but I didn t leave IRL for a while and I thought maybe this rule has changed especially since sept 11th and all the new security measures.

Thanks a lot for any information.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'm pretty sure in France that you are required to have your passport on you at all times....

p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

don't be such a lazy fecker and renew you passport :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yea need a passport to travel into ireland or england, because we have drug traficing laws.
    so if you don't plan on returning, just bring your drivers licince with yea when leaving :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Nothing to do with drugs traffic and everything to do with the anglo-irish agreement (or rather that together with the uk we remainded outside the eu free-travel zone)

What this in effect means that for travel to or from Ireland and the EU you must have your passport. Travelling within the free-travel or Schengen zone (i.e. from France to Germany) you may need photo ID but not neccessarily your passport.

The moral of the story is you need your passport so don't go showing up at the airport without it moaning about 'being in Europe' etc. etc. :D (still happens every day though :rolleyes: )

Advertisement