Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win XP boot problem - please help :)

Options
  • 07-04-2004 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭

Just completed my first build yesterday, which seemed to go well. Today, I opened up the case to install a modem, and when I tried to boot up again, process was halted at blue screen with the message: "unmountable boot record".
    Same thing starting in safe mode, with RAM changed around/removed, modem removed, changed options in BIOS. So I booted from Win XP home CD and used Repair Console. Tried 'fixboot' command but got message "bootsector corrupt...fixboot is writing a new boot sector...the boot sector cannot be fixed". Tried 'fixmbr" command but got "old master boot record cannot be read". Tried repair install but one minute into install process stops as their is an error on the partition used (partition takes up almost all of my only S-ATA drive!). Any thoughts? What can I do now?

Mobo: MSI K8T Neo-Fisr
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    RAM: 1024mb Mushkin Level I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

you sure (in BIOS settings) that the HDD is actually detected? check all physical connections..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Hankster

This might help.

Advertisement