Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub-domain idea

Options
  • 07-04-2004 5:41pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im guessing it might cost you more money, but maybe not... so I'll see what the people think of it..

would it be possible/viable to give 'subdomains' (if thats the right term) for each forum... so that i can type www.boards.ie/afterhours into my browser and be directed to the after hours forum, rather than having to go through the main page..I know its easy to get to a forum through the main page, but this might just make it abit easier..

at the moment its just a string of digits and text, so you cant tell which is what until you click on it...

what do you think??

Flogen
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

This is already done for some forums.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

really?? which ones may i ask?

and is it likely to be 'rolled out' to the rest?

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i think what flogen means is not just the redirects, but also the URLs for threads. is it?

yeah... i suppose ;)

just make things handier if all the forums were like that, so someone who just goes to rock/metal could jump straight there, i suppose that if it was the URLs for the threads and forums, it would be easier to find a post youd already looked at on your address bar

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

3 times today i've started to reply to this, and i've held myself in check.

but no more

Flogen please shut up,

While direct access to certain forums would be feasible (as ecksor said its already in place for some forums), what you're talking about is a total reworking of the way boards works, after a while you know which forums correspond to which numbers anyway.

and again, please shut up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Yeah good idea. That way we can be lazy and go directly to what we want.

How long will it take for ye to do it ?

Hurry please!

thanks for the input there echo... it was a suggestion, and as I am not an expert in how boards.ie is set up, im not sure just how much work it would be to set up....

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

and as I am not an expert in how boards.ie is set up

Neither am I, thats why you dont see a bullshit thread started by me every few days spouting on about how things can be improved.
    maybe you can get another private forum all to yourself where you can post your crap to your hearts content without affecting my subbed forums list and causing me to gnash my teeth in fury every time i check feedback/suggestions and find another one of your stupid threads.

JUST SHUT UP

Im making suggestions that I feel could help the site, and I havent posted here in a while anyway.

tell you what, next time you see a post here by me, ignore it, or if it bothers you that much, ignore me too..

I'd like to hear from others what they think of the idea, is it too much restructuring for a minor advantage, or worth-while?

Flogen

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

God i've been waiting half a lifetime to get a use out of this quote...

"Your monkey has got it right sir!"
    (Can you name the source without using Google?)

Anyway, Flogen has hit upon something that myself Ronin have talked about for a while and are going to put into effect soon. We're gonna setup afterhours.boards.ie etc etc etc and forward them to the various forums directly. We just have to sort out the odd forums (particularly the ones with "/"s in the name).

So there you have it, Flogen was on the right track (a few steps behind but ...)
    You know what they say, even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day! :p

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

No really, shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Should just be a case of setting up a Boards DNS server with the appropriate entries, shouldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by DeVore
    God i've been waiting half a lifetime to get a use out of this quote...

"Your monkey has got it right sir!"
    (Can you name the source without using Google?)

So there you have it, Flogen was on the right track (a few steps behind but ...)
    You know what they say, even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day! :p

DeV.

The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy of course ! Arthur Dent being said monkey.

May I suggest that echomadman be banned from admins for a week?

Mike.

Advertisement