Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Select your county 15

• 07-04-2004 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Id like to hear your ideas on what team you would pick for your countys senior team for the upcoming championship
    Heres my Tyrone 15:

John Devine; Dermot Carlin, Ciaran Gourley, Ryan McMenamin; Conor Gormley,
    Gavin Devlin, Philip Jordan; Kevin Hughes, Sean Cavanagh; Brian Dooher,
    Brian McGuigan, Gerard Cavlan; Enda McGinley, Peter Canavan, Owen Mulligan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Derry team..

B Gillis, K McCloy - SM Lockhart - N McCusker, R Lynch - P McFlynn - P Kelly, F Doherty - E Muldoon, C O'Brien - C Gilligan - C Moran, Patsy Bradley - G McGonigle - Paddy Bradley

<with a team like that Tyrone must be sh1tting themselves>

<pimping>
    joey -> there is a forum for the north
    </pimping>

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

1. Me (Searcog) :p

2. John McEnroe (Searcog)
    3. Cathal Collins (Cavan Gaels)
    4. Paul Brady (Mullahorn)

5. Michael Brides (Redhills)
    6. Trevor Crowe (Lacken)
    7. Eamonn Reilly (Cavan Gaels)

8. Dermott McCabe (Gowna)
    9. Pierce McKenna (Kill Shamrocks)

10. Mark McKeever (Gowna) / Peter Reilly (Knockbride)
    11. Anthony Forde (Cavan Gaels)
    12. Larry Reilly (Knockbride)

13. Ollie Ward (Searcog)
    14. Jason Reilly (Belturbet)
    15. Gerald Pierson (Gowna)

Subs: 16. Eion Elliott, 17. Carl Crotty, 18. Ciaran McGovern, 19. Whoever doesn't make #10, 20. Paddy Brady, 21. Sean Brady, 22. Kenny Burns, 23. Brian Hamilton, 24. Sean Johnston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Cluxton

Henry - Christie - Griffin

Andrews - Cullen - Moran

Ryan - Homan

Connell - Whelan - Keaney

Brogan - Sherlock - Quinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Sherlock full forward!:D (happy days if so)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

you knwo dessie farrel and ray Cosgrove are not out of the picture either
    I wouldnt have Darren Homan in Mid field ( hes a great defender)

Whelan belongs in the middle of the park and Shane ryan should be in the half backs.

Im still putting my 15 together...

• Advertisement

Mighty mouse, the last time Sherlock was played consistently as full forward for the Dubs was 1995 – the last year Dublin won Sam.

But with the Dubs it does not matter what number the forward has as they constantly rotate, particularly the full forward line.

Alany, unfortunately I don’t think Whelan has the engine to be the brilliant midfielder we hoped he’d be. His surging 40 yard+ runs into opposition territory result in him having hands on hips and being out of the game for 2-3 minutes. He disappears for far too long during games. Despite this failing I don’t question that he’s probably Dublin’s best midfielder, but I think we’d get the best out of him if we gave him the 11 shirt and played him essentially as a third midfielder but with little defensive responsibility and free reign to bomb forward at will.

Another important factor in this is that we have only 5 quality forwards (Brogan, Connell, Keaney, Jayo, Quinn) but a plethora of quality half backs. Also we have no midfielders.

I agree that Shane is first and foremost a half back, but he is also a very good midfielder in the Jack Sheedy mould. He’d pick up every loose ball and he’d run forever. We’d need a good fielder beside him, and Homan is the only choice. He’s a leader, and he showed last year v Armagh the type of performance he’s capable of. Darren Magee has consistently shown that he’s not up to the job. A good fielder, but then 90% of the time drops it or loses it. Passing is brutal, shooting is brutal. Declan O’Mahoney has played very well with the U21s, but has always been poor with the seniors. He might come good, but not this year. Tom Mulligan hasn’t really had a chance this year because of injury – good footballer but seems to lack aggression. It has to be Homan.

Playing Shane at midfield would also give us the opportunity to finally play Cullen in his best position, i.e. centre half back. Barry Cahill returning from injury does add to our options, but I’d still not be tempted to keep Cullen in the forwards.

I heard that Dessie was not being asked back by Lyons. Have you heard differently? In any event the best he could hope for would be a place on the bench, but he’d probably be our best forward sub, certainly better than Cossie, McNally, LiamOg.

I think Cosgrove has proven in every game he played this year, that he’s no longer up to it. He’s been dire. Shouldn’t even be in the squad, never mind the team.

rooster I have to agree with a lot of that you said.
    one of the reasons im having trouble putting my 15 together is the lack of forwards to choose from.

I think my main problem however is with formation. I agree Darren homan is a great leader ( I have had the pleasure of playing with him a couple of times) but he is not good at attacking,so i see why you fee the ryan homan combo is a good one.

I feel dessie deserves a place on the bench ( along with declan darcy but i wont get into that) but i really dont know if lyons is interested.

i agree that cossie has been terrible this year but I am jjust hoping that its a run of bad form, if he could get back on his game he would be a grea asset.

Another Thing is goggins.. I think hes a great player and there could well be a place for him on the team ... Liam Og ( cant spell his second name) hEneachain is comming of age and will be an important sub to bring on and what of John McNAlly ??

Dublin are playing cork in a challenge on May16th I think that will be a very good indication as to who is on form and who tommy is favouring .

I cant decide on my 15 till then. But regardless of my 15 or any dublin 15 I think Dublin need self belief and determination before anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 joey#10

Im also a big kildare fan as i have family there, so i have an opinion on what their championship team should be, training has been very intense i believe but it should be no excuse. Ive been told that they need to step up 5 gears from the match yesterday in tullamore, they were very poor. By the way,great point by Donnelly yeserday in Omagh, a mighty effort, pity about the ref. Here it is anyway (i include some people not on panel but who should be on it if available):

1. Enda 'Jose' Murphy
    2. Brian Lacey
    3. Damien Hendy
    4. Andrew McLoughlin
    5. Eamon O'Callaghan
    6. Glenn Ryan
    7. Karl Ennis
    8. Niall Buckley (This man is in Chicago,pity hes not playing intercounty, top player.)
    9. Dermot Earley (c)
    10. John Doyle
    11. Anthony Rainbow (would be a very good link man)
    12. Ronan Sweeney
    13. Pauric Brennan
    14. Stuart McKenzie-Smith (Also away, in Canada, and is a big loss this year)
    15. Tadgh Fennin

I just thought id put down my thoughts on dublins team too. Here it is:

1. Stephen Cluxton
    2. Barry Cahill
    3. Paddy Christie (c)
    4. Paul Griffin
    5. David Henry
    6. Bryan Cullen
    7. Colin Moran
    8. Shane Ryan
    9. Darren Homan
    10. Senan Connell
    11. Conal Keaney
    12. Ciaran Whelan
    13. Alan Brogan
    14. Rory Gallagher (why not?)
    15. Jason Sherlock

• Advertisement

Joey - why not? Because's he's from Fermanagh :D

We're not going to lower ourselves to the standards of Kildare and Cork! Not yet anyway :p

Alany, I'd have no problem with Goggins in the team in the half back line. As I said we've a plethora of good ones in Goggins, Andrews, Moran, Ryan, Cullen, Cahill. Any 3 of them would be fine by me. Henry also would be good there, but I prefer him in the corner.

I have no faith that Johnny McNally or Liam Og would ever produce the goods for Dublin in a big championship game. For 10 minutes at the end of a game I'd much prefer to see Dessie come on than either of them, even with both legs strapped and walking with a limp!

I'm afraid Dec Darcy is finished though. Barely worth his place with Brigids.

A Brigids forward who does look promising is Declan Lally. He may be the sixth forward in our championship team (I think the other 5 are dead certs), but I'd prefer to use him from the bench.

Another two young forwards who look very bright prospects are John Noonan and Dotsie O'Callaghan. They've disappointed a little in the U21 championship so far, but I'm looking for two massive games from them in the Leinster final v Kildare on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Carlow 15:

Oops their all in the Pub ah well!:rolleyes:

seen dotsie play several times... excellet footballer and I think he and liam Og are going to be future super stars. The Reason I like Liam Og so much is I have seen what we can do at club level and he just deadly when he gets going. and I think he is a year older now and possibly could produce the goods.

I know Darcy will never play for dublin, but I think he was a key player for bridgets.

John McNally has to come good eventually ?doesnt he ?

your right about Lally, looks very impressive.

As far as im concerned Dublin have 3 of the best players in the country
    Cluxton in goal, Paddy Christy at full back and henry at corner back, those 3 would make it on any county team..the rest have to work for it. ...

Edit
    Senan Connell could also make it on any team in Ireland with the form hes in.

What do you mean Dublin wont lower their standards to that of Kildare and Cork? Both are great footballing counties and are arguably of a better standard than the current Dublin team who lack leaders in certain areas. (eg. centre back, midfield, full forward) Larry Tompkins helped Cork no end to win all irelands, along with Shea Fahy. While kildare have had a great servant in brian lacey over the last number of years. Gallagher is a player dublin are crying out for, hes a class player, it shouldnt matter that hes from fermanagh. Declan Darcy played for leitrim and came back to play seniors for dublin, so i dont understand why dublin people cant see how much he could benefit the team. Of course they propably wont allow him to play, but its just a shame seein as his ability will go by pretty much unnoticed by gaa fans around the country. Best of luck anyway in the under 21 final against kildare, it should be a good game.

I can't remember the exact circumstances of Tompkins and Fahy's moves from Kildare to Cork, but generally I dont think it right that a strong county steals players from a, what was then, a a weaker county. LT and SF left Kildare just a few years before Kildare became strong again. If they had stayed loyal, chances are Kildare would have won Sam.

Of course Kildare decided to repeat the dose and picked on Tipp. They also did their very best to try and bribe Deccie Browne to play with them. Browne stayed loyal to his county though. Fair play.

Dec Darcy was born and grew up in Dublin. He played with his father's club in Leitrm and progressed to play with his father's county. He then decided to throw his lot in with his own county, i.e. Dublin. That was perfectly fine in my book, and completely different to Gallagher who has no family links with Dublin whatsoever.

In any case Rory Gallagher is over-rated. A lovely footballer, but any Fermanagh man will tell you he bottles it in the big occassion.

On the other hand I would be loath to discard anyone who really wants to play for Dublin. If they have lived and played football in the county for a certain amount of time (say 3 years?) and their own county have stated that they have absolutely no objections to his transferring, then I'd be prepared to give him a chance.

I believe the main reason that tompkins got a transfer to cork was because the kildare county board of the time would not pay for his travelling expenses from america. Id like to know the full reason though if anyone knows??

Advertisement