Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting My Box

Options
  • 07-04-2004 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

I'm only beginning to mod my box. I did a stealth drive the other day & it looks pretty cool, so easy to do too! :)

Anyways, I'm moving on to painting my case. I've read a fair few articles from various sites on how & how not to paint one's case. I also did a search here on boards but couldn't find anything conclusive, nothing to answer all my questions at least. I realise that there's no specific way to paint a case, but I plagiarised this method and I'd like if people could comment on whether it looks sound or not. Thanks!
    sand case - electrically sand metal & hand sand plastic

clean area, hoover etc.

primer - 2 thin coats (2hrs each)

sand - 600 then 1000

clean

paint - 2 thin coats (overnight)

sand - 800 to 1000 (super-smooth)

paint - 1 coat (overnight)

sand - 1000

gloss - 1 thin coat (overnight)

sand - 1000 then 1500 (gently)

gloss - 1 thin coat (overnight)

apply polishing compound

Wipe away compound w/ cloth

I'm hoping some people can answer these questions from experience :)

Q. How many cans of 500ml spraypaint would be sufficient to completely cover the outside of a standard ATX case?
    Q. Enamel or acrylic spraypaint. I read that enamel was better for some reason. Is one better than the other? What is the difference between the two?
    Q. What's this 'primer' I keep reading all about? Is it like an undercoat or something? Probably a silly question but is it important to use metal primer on metal & plastic primer on plastic?
    Q. Rubbing compound, is this the same as a polishing compound? Is it applied to protect the paint-job?
    Q. Gloss, is this the same as a lacquer or a clear coat? For that extra glossy effect I presume?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Ok , im speaking from experience with general spray painting (not computer cases) so ill do my best.
    How many cans of 500ml spraypaint would be sufficient to completely cover the outside of a standard ATX case?

Very hard one to answer, it depends alot on how much you apply with each coat.... id say 1 can primer, 2 (mabye 3 - max) cans of the colour ..... but thats just an estimate and im thinkin you will be applying a good number of coats.
    What's this 'primer' I keep reading all about? Is it like an undercoat or something? Probably a silly question but is it important to use metal primer on metal & plastic primer on plastic?

Primer is an undercoat, its a dull colour....... grey primer being the most popular. Its pretty important to have. You can get plastic primer , its different from normal primer but ive used normal stuff and it was fine on plastic. The most important thing is the sanding, do it well and you will have a nice finish.
    Gloss, is this the same as a lacquer or a clear coat? For that extra glossy effect I presume?

Gloss paint is basicly a shiny version, ie theres matt black (dull), gloss black is shiny. Lacquer is a nice finishing coat and also acts as a protector to a certain degree. When the guide says gloss id take it as laquer.

That guide looks spot on, follow that some bit closely and you should be fine.

Advertisement