Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 online

Options
  • 07-04-2004 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Just got the ps2 online last week. Bought the network adapter in symths for €29.99 :) and it was REALLY easy to setup .. was online playing tony hawks in 10-15mins.

Just wondering if there's many people out there with ps2 online? what games are they playing and what's good?

So far i've pkayed SSX3, Medal of Honor:Rising Sun, Midnight Club 2 and Tony Hawks Underground.
    -SSX3 is crap online especially if your in any way laggy. I was suprised as it's a great offline game.
    -Midnight Club is good but there's not enough people playing it
    -Medal of Honor is actually quite good as i was expecting it to be rubbish.
    -My favourite online is Tony Hawks it's really good and a brilliant change from the usual type of online gaming(FPS for example). There's lots of modes and you can share custom levels, characters etc.. and it's ideal for people with poor pings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

do you have to pay a subscription like with Xbox Live?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

do you have to pay a subscription like with Xbox Live?

No. Simply just a once off payment for the network adapter

All the other costs involved are the setup costs same as pc gaming online basically.
    The one thing you need is broadband to play online though (same for XBox) and obviously you need to buy games to play.
    The only subscriptions you would ever pay are for persistant online games like MMORPG(Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) and the only one out for ps2 is everquest. This is the same as the PC with the likes of star wars galaxies and planetside. With the xbox this subscription would be in addition to the live subscription not included.

If you are to get the Net adapter it would also be *highly* recommended to buy a USB headset. It really makes a big difference online when you can talk to and hear other people online and don't need to type messages.

IMO If you already have broadband and a PS2 there's no reason why you shouldn't get the adapter as it's only €30 and most new games now have online capabilties

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"With the xbox this subscription would be in addition to the live subscription not included."

There are no games that charge (or can charge) additional subscription fees on XBox Live afaik (Correct me if I'm wrong) - isn't that part of the reason why EA snubbed it? Not enough control over that sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

yeah i have it too. great aint it? i won mine...and games;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I have it mate!!

Got it to play Everquest Online Adventures and Socom 2. only problem is that the access code that came with my adapter from play.com was duplicated by the system by mistake. So i have to wait for the replacement access code for central station to play Socom 2. Its in the post so i should have it soon. I can still play EA game and ubi soft ones just not the sony central station ones.

Good service. Have yet to see lag in it. Probably just luckly at the moment.

If you're getting champions of norrath, give me your handle when you get it and we could have a game.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by NoelRock
    "With the xbox this subscription would be in addition to the live subscription not included."

There are no games that charge (or can charge) additional subscription fees on XBox Live afaik (Correct me if I'm wrong) - isn't that part of the reason why EA snubbed it? Not enough control over that sort of thing?

PSO charges a monthly sub plus True Live is gonna aswell. Also alot of the popular games are starting to charge for downloadable content like LINKS and PGR2.

The reaons EA snub it was because they didn't have control over the servers.

Eample:

they wanted to be able to take down the FIFA 2004 server when FIFA2005 comes out so everyone will buy that. Unfortunity for EA, XBL is a peer to peer service that aslong as 2 people have the game, you can play it online.

yeah i have it too. great aint it? i won mine...and games

by any chance are you a beta tester?

Champions of Norath sounds like it'll be good online I might get that but I'm waiting till after my exams before getting any new games.
    Socom 2 looks good will probably get that. Has anyone played it and what do they think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

yup i am.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by clownboy
    The reaons EA snub it was because they didn't have control over the servers.

Eample:

they wanted to be able to take down the FIFA 2004 server when FIFA2005 comes out so everyone will buy that. Unfortunity for EA, XBL is a peer to peer service that aslong as 2 people have the game, you can play it online.

That was the main reason, but there were more.

Anywho, they have had a rethink, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

I've asked in every single game shop I can think of about ps2 online and they either havent got a damned clue (stuff like 'the network adaptor isnt out yet' - when its been around smyths as u say for ages). 4 'Game' shops and both Gamestops told me that you had to pay 14 euro a month for ps2 online and then an additional fee per game.
    Im just gonna buy the stupid thing and find out myself - stupid A-holes in gameshops without a brain "You should just get an xbox" yeah if i had €200 mate, but seeing as how ive a pc,ps2 and cube im not in the mood to waste the cash - worst thing is these same shops are now selling the adaptors but the idiots dont have a notion about them when u ask

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Smiths had leaflets on the counter in their central Dublin store. If the leaflets are still there get a few and offer them to the GAME staff. I really sounds as if they need a look at them.

That's funny. They must be some idiots working in these shops. I know for a fact that Game and Gamestop both are selling the adapter in Dublin. The guy in Game told me they were selling it for €45 complete ripoff so I didn't get it there. I was told later by a friend that Gamestop were selling it for €35 was going to get it there but happened to be in Blanchardstown so went into Symths there and only €29.99. :) very pleased with the price after being in Game!

I just remembered i was looking for it at christmas and a guy in gamestop said it didn't exist and sony had no plans till ps3 for online gaming.
    Fools i tells ya

Its def in Gamestop in henry st as the guy behind the counter gave me a flyer about it on Saturday. It was something about buying the adapter and signing up to eircom broadband.

****ing dimwits in these stores.

Sony have no online plans til PS3 :rolleyes:

I saw on gamestop.ie that Socom is plantnium now for €30. Does any know if this plantnium version comes with the USB headset? If so it would be a good price imo for a great online game!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It doesnt have the headset. despite the fact that socom 1's platinum, game still havent reduced the price of the pack with the headset.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Game & Headset for €49.95 on CD Wow.

Advertisement