Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics - Approach

Options
  • 07-04-2004 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Does anyone know a good approach to learning Physics?

Is learning all experiments, followed by formulae/calculations a good approach?

It isn't one of my best subjects, and in the last two months before the exam I need to allocate my time wisely... I heard that EMF is very important to know, are there any other crucial topics to know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

I plan on learning all the mandatory experiments and the forumlae off by heart and then just doing exam questions over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

one thing to know really well is energy conversions

ie E=1/2MV2 can pop up in loadsa sections, usually the parts where you get the most marks, came up on the electron question on my exam last year in order to find the radius of the circular path of an electron. Also particle physics where you had to put energy of the photon = 2mc2 (energy of created particles in pair production) in order to get the minimum frequency of the original photons

my advice look out for energy questions and if you know the formulae you'll have no prob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

I learned all the mandatory experiments, a couple of the important non-mandatory ones, the formulae and the definations. It got me an A1 last year so its a good way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Definitions add up to about 17%-19% of the exam usually...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Have the experiments off by heart. Make sure to look/glance at the non-mandatory ones as well. This is what will take a little time so get them learned in advance.

Other than that, if you have a good general knowledge of the course in terms of definitions and formulae (or even, lets say you don't know a definition off by heart, but have a grip on the theory behind it) you should be fine.

Also note that I managed to leave out the entire electromagnetics section (whats that, like chapter 28-30 or something) and still got an A1. :P Learn the option thing at the end really well as well, coz it's a guaranteed question from just two chapters (which are reasonably easy, well the first option is anyway dunno about the second one).

Definitions are something I'd personally leave to the night before (I had a whole weekend before my Physics I think). Same with formulae although again I'd recommend have a good grasp of the theory (hence the formulae) already...

• Advertisement
Advertisement