Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athlone's points decution + fine.

• 07-04-2004 10:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

I am disgusted with this, how could the manager be so stupid that he could let the fact that one ofthe clubs best players wasn't registered for the league slip past him?
    What a pillock!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Originally posted by Seaneh
    I am disgusted with this, how could the manager be so stupid that he could let the fact that one ofthe clubs best players wasn't registered for the league slip past him?
    What a pillock!

I wonder would it be the manager's job though? Probably more likely to be the secretarys?

I wish this would stop happening though as it gives the league an amatuerish look. Athlone this season, Monaghan the season before, Shels the season before, I mean come on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Indeed it does sound like it happens a lot. I can't say i follow the league but even i've heard of this happening a couple times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I think the punishment should be stuck to, as athlone are appealing, and perhaps a larger fine, if, (and hopefully when) their appeal fails.

A ston lin now, wil prevent worse cases in the future.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

Sounds like a piece of Irish-style administration. Those clubs are p1ss-poor in fairness and dont tend to have the brightest sparks working for/with them (in my limited experience). It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

I think Pats had a case a few years ago too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Another farce is the case of the Crawley transfer from UCD to Shlebourne.

UCD got annoyed because the player was under 23 when he moved to Shelbourne in the pre-season, so they lodged a complaint.

Shelbourne knew nothing about the complaint until about an hour before the first game of the season, when they were told thst the player could not play, he had previously played in pre season games for the club.

The powers that be then decided to bring the case to tribunal.

The law states that if a player aged under 23 moves clubs, a level of compensation must be paid to the team he is leaving, providing the player in question has spent 2 seasons with said team. In fact, Crawley had signed for UCD three or four games into the season ( he had been on UCD's books for nearly 2 seasons, but not quite ).

Shelbourne sent nobody to the tribunal hearing, believing, rightly so, that there was no case to answer.

However, the tribunal put a compensation of €20,000 on his head. Now Shelbourne have decided not to take the player due to financial restraints, and UCD won't play him. The player is left without a club, and Shelbourne are left without a good telented prospect.

Farcial to say the least.

edit:/typo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think its this kind of shambles that put people off the eircom league so much, I think its a case of the FAI and all things they touch turn to sh*t.

john

I'm not getting at you here johnor. Please don;t take it as an attack on you, but a lot of people have this same attitude.

The EL is about football, not politics. Get down to your local club, and watch a few games. OK, so the standard may not be as good as what you can see on Sky, but with time, and support, the league will get better.

Yea i understand that, what i was trying to say was a big hurlde for the EL to overcome will be the idiots who run irish football, perhaps it isnt the clubs who are unprofessional and make the league seem less than it is. Thats all i was saying, I think any league is good when you get into it, what i found funny was I went to one of those preseason games with villa v leeds and Shels v Pats (i think), and all the pats fans singing "who are yah" to shels players. For me every player was a "who are yah".

john

Originally posted by johnor
    ...For me every player was a "who are yah".

But only because you don't follow the league I suppose?...

I take the point about certain idiots running the league and the FAI though. The Genesis thing was supposed to be sorting this out, but alas this doesn't seem to doing any good at all.

Also, the point about clubs being run incompetently is maybe a bit harsh. Not all of the clubs are like this. A number of the clubs have gone full time.

Seems to me that a "jobs for the boys" culture still exists, but I for one don't let this cloud my enjoyment of the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by seansouth
    ..Get down to your local club, and watch a few games. OK, so the standard may not be as good as what you can see on Sky, but with time, and support, the league will get better.

I would be one who would love to follow the Eircom league more ( i have watched it on T.V. since i was 7 years old )

But i live in Nenagh ( North Tipperary ) and have no team to follow :( . Which is why i would like to see a few more tiers to the Irish game other than just premier div and first div .

Thats a nice idea, but it's hard enough to sustain even the current two tier system.

Not enough people go to the matches as it is, if it was further diluted, then it wouldn't be worthwhile running the league.

I'm not sure about the geography, but are you near either Waterford or Cork. I've never been to the Waterford ground, but from looking at the TV3 coverage, it looks like they could do with some support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Im probably nearest Limerick or Galway ( 2 First division sides ) . I wouldnt mind watching first division sides if they were actually from Tipp .

Im too young to drive so transport to games would be hard for me to go see other teams in Munster .

I think the EL league needs more high profile poeple envolved in it like McGrath is a Waterford. I dunno maybe i shoul give it a pop, but to be honest from what i have seen the quality doesnt differ greatly from watching a good sunday league game or the sort.

john

Where do you live Johnor?...who would be your local team?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ok its true that the league has made a few stupid administration errors recently and that isnt gonna help the image but there is no point in people complaining about the league you should just go and support a club because thats the whole reason the league is a shambles through a lack of support and a lack of money because of a lack of support.

You cant blame the likes of tv3 for not showing more games because to them it seems that people just arent interested in the league. Most teams barely get a few hundred fans at the games.

i have followed bray games for the last 4 years and obviously it isnt at the same standard as english football but its still interesting and exciting to watch if you get into it. Dont expect to go to one game and to know what the eircom league is about.
    More interest will mean more games on tv and then more people are likely to get into it.

I agree with johnor that if we get more high profile players like paul mcgrath managing in the league it will attract more interest. Basically just go and support your local team.You will soon get into it

As in top flight, eircom league or what? I live in Portmarnock, got a good senior side..
    Some good young teams too...I guess shels would be the local top flight..

john

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

well if you live in dublin john then there is loads of local teams you can go to. its not like they are hard to get to. You have bohs,shels,shamrock rovers and dublin city all close to portmarnock so go check one of them out

Well, johnor, if you live in Portmarnock you can get the 43 bus straight to the far end of fairview, and Tolka is a 10 minute walk from there. Shlebourne are playing Dublin City ( formerly Home Farm ) tomorrow night.

If your a stoodent you can get in for a tenner, or fifteen if your not a stoodent/pensioner/child.

yeah use your student card and go see the game have a few drinks after tis a top night out

• Advertisement
Advertisement