Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Computer Question

Options
  • 08-04-2004 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

Not sure where to put this, exactly. I am putting it here hoping that someone can help me.

Yesterday I left the office for about 10 minutes. During that time I have strong reason to believe that the only person left in the office had a look at some of my files. What bothers me is that they thought they could hide their tracks by deleting my 'recent documents' shortcuts. I have some private stuff on there, and I just hate the thought of someone accessing it behind my back.

I want to be able to find out what files were accessed when. Is it possible to access a system register somewhere on my system that would detail actions, files opened, etc? Is there any other way for me to work out what was done.

I want to give this person a firm 'steer clear' message. The person in question is not by boss, would have no authority to access my machine, no reason to either (everything work related is on the shared network). I also suspected interference before, but never investigated further.

Also, last question - is there anyway you can password protect a folder. I know you can do it file by file, but I don't really want to turn my machine into a fort knox.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

What OS are you running?,
    This may be better in technology or windows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Genghis

Windows XP, version 2002

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Use PGP and encrypt a folder on ur pc, then when you want to add to it, simply
    decrypt the folder, add to it and encrypt it again..

Another alternatie is PGP disk, this allows you to setup a specified section on your
    hard drive or a specified size and it encrypts, then you open it, drop in all the files
    you want to protect from prying eyes and close it again, requires a password to
    open the encrypted files and is very very handy..

Can be go as part of PGO 6.2.02 here.

You can also set it to automatically unmount the encrypted file so if your away from
    your pc for more than a set time it will do this so that it covers your back should you
    forget to lock your PC..

The only issue is that it wont let your PC go into standby as thats an older version.
    The newer one for XP or Win2K is available but you have to buy it..

Any more questions about it, pm me..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

FYI
    If they are MS office documents there is an option in the "save as.." dialogue to encrypt and add passwords etc..

Can't help with the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

or you could just use a screensaver..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Do you not lock your machine when you leave it?
    Never , ever leave a machine unlocked in an office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 marcowil

Do a search on your hard disk for all (*.*) "files modified" in the last xx days. This will list ALL files the system has accessed and if you sort the list by date order you will see the times each file was last accessed. Obviously if you have opened any of your personal files since then they won't show up but if you haven't then the last date on them should give you a clue.

This may create a long list but should help a little

I use the screensaver option now. I hadn't wanted to as the office is a small place and no one else uses them. The last place I worked in was a little bigger, and everyone used them. I found that it made everyone suspicious, etc, basically it leads to a negative culture in a small office.

I had been hoping to avoid this here, but obviously I can't now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

although i do appreciate your point, screen savers don't have to be negative.. you
    can get cool ones, or funny ones..

www.uselesscreations.com and
    www.reallyslick.com(seems to be down at the mo) to name only two good sites..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Or just use a 3d text banner screensaver with the text "Feck Away From Me Computer Or I'll Fustigate Ya!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The easiest way around this would be to just lock the computer whenever you're away from it. Simple and Easy!

On another point, why not lay a trap?

Create a file called "Really Personal Stuff - Don't Look in Here - Top Secret".

Put some stuff in to it saying "Hello Nosey Parkey "His/Her Name", please get the feck out of my personal stuff"

This should be sufficient to deter the person from any future delving, as they'd hardly confront you about it, but still know that you know what they are at.

hehe, seansouth, I had thouht about that. I was even going to have a very loud alarm sound to play on opening, then have the message flash on the screen.

But now I have it all locked so problem solved. Unfortunately, though, I still ahven't been able to establish which files were viewed, so it still bugs me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

how do you go about locking an xp machine? i presume u mean log off and password your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

2 ways to lock an XP machine

With Fast User Switchign enabled, hit

"Winkey + L"

or if that doesn't work, create a shortcut, put it on your desktop and point it to:

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll LockWorkStation

If you want to make it slick, add a shortcut key to

CTRL + ALT + END

and when you hit this, it will lock.

hope that helps

Ian

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You can also just put the following bat file in c:\
    so all you do is start > run > type in "l" and press enter
    or enter the following into the run box and hit enter
    rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

same stuff as above post but hey :D

for bat file see here

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

screen saver is the best option imo,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Just wondering why you would keep personal files on a computer at work anyway? Presumably the company would have a policy that seeing as the machine is their property, they would have administrative provileges and as such, could access your information if they so desired.

That's besides the point, but just thought I'd mention it. Anything kept on a computer at work is potentially readable by someone else, unless you have it encrypted, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I must be dumb, but how does a screensaver help? I just thought they were there to look nice while nobody is using the computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

You can set the machine so that the screensaver requires a password to get past

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

ah ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Download The Tray Wizard . Not only has it a handy function to minimise stuff to the notification area, but it has a one button click to Lock The Workstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

As for logging, it's possible with NTFS filesystems, but has to be enabled by someone in advance.

look up
    auditing, enabling Audit Object Access
    in windows' help index.

and don't go overboard. Too much detail will make the log useless.

Without this, the best you can do is go to explorer.
    View the suspect folder contents in "View\Details" mode.
    Right click on the headings bar above your files
    (currently with Name, Size, Type, Modified)
    Select Accessed to be displayed also, which gives the last read time. Note that backup and antivirus programs might also alter this value.

---
    in future

Unless you lock your PC when you walk away, all this talk of encrypted zips and the like aren't too useful.
    Without a good password (not written on a post-it) and preferably network file/printer access to your machine switched off, you'd be better off with a memory key / watch combo :->

For personal files, remove the smiley. The admin will always have the ability to access files on company property, though the company procedures should try to keep a check on it. In small firms the admin usually has free rein.

Advertisement