Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas tram derails

• 08-04-2004 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Investigation after LUAS tram derails in testing
    Last updated: 08-04-04, 12:21

An investigation is under way today after a LUAS tram derailed during a test run on the Sandyford line.

The incident occurred during a shunting procedure at an crossover facility in Ranalegh at around noon yesterday.

Mr Ger Hannon, director of corporate affairs for the Railway Procurement Agency (RPA), told ireland.com the tram was operating under test conditions and that the shunting procedure takes place without passengers on board.

Mr Hannon said the tram was only moving at a speed of three kilometres per hour when its wheels slipped off the rail. The carriage remained "upright and stable" and was put back up on the tracks within an hour.

Mr Hannon described the incident as "minor", saying the company wanted to dispel the notion that the tram derailed at high speed while entering station.

The nine-kilometre long Sandyford-to-St. Stephen's Green line is due to open in June. It will have 13 stops and the full journey will take 22 minutes. Each tram has a capacity of 310 people and a train is planned for every five minutes during peak times.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

and was put back up on the tracks within an hour.
    about the only advantage of light rail
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Mr Hannon described the incident as "minor", :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

It was minor, and highlights the importance of the several months of testing being carried out before any passengers are carried. I fully expect the Sunday Independent to publish an article describing carnage and confusion, with quotes from concerned mothers-of-three about their child, landrover, dog, pride, etc. being hurt by falling trams travelling at twice the speed of sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Originally posted by Andrew Duffy
    It was minor, and highlights the importance of the several months of testing being carried out before any passengers are carried. I fully expect the Sunday Independent to publish an article describing carnage and confusion, with quotes from concerned mothers-of-three about their child, landrover, dog, pride, etc. being hurt by falling trams travelling at twice the speed of sound.

will that be the Barry Egan / Gavin Lambe-Murphy or Brendan O'Connor version?

"... the driver of the tram was seen in the early hours of that morning snorting lines cocaine off the thighs of various dancers in Angels, before heading to vip area of Renards..." etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

...saying the company wanted to dispel the notion that the tram derailed at high speed while entering station.

There is no notion that features the words "tram" and "high speed" in the same context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If I'm right one of the differences between a train and a tram is that trams have steerable wheels and fixed points (junctions). Presumably the driver mis-negotiated the points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Saw the article on the front page of The Star - what pathetic, lazy journalism and irresponsible journalism it was! There was talk of safety fears and inquiries and all sorts of audits of the "cursed" tram line. To be honest, The Star should be getting in behind the Luas as tens of thousands of their readers are going to welcome it and use it when it opens.

The Luas is in test phase, it is quite likely that this type of incident is going to happen on brand new track. This is why they test in the first place. I would imagine that it would take an hour to get the tram running again if it was during normal operation. What the Star forget to mention that there are plenty of cross over points along each route that would allow other trams to bypass a disabled tram.

Roll on June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Don't know about fixed points - the points around Heuston have lots of complicated looking mechanics around them. I think the driver can control the points in some cases whereas they're centrally controlled in others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Crossley

What the Star forget to mention that there are plenty of cross over points along each route that would allow other trams to bypass a disabled tram.

No there aren't. I believe this is the only crossover on Line B apart from at the terminals. This will lead to major delays if a unit fails at Ranelagh say. Aside from that I would question the wisdom of putting this crossover on a severe falling grade (looks like it must be about 1:40 at this particular spot).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by Victor
    If I'm right one of the differences between a train and a tram is that trams have steerable wheels and fixed points (junctions). Presumably the driver mis-negotiated the points.

You are incorrect, trams are not steerable. The points are all electric and are centrally controlled, The routing of trams is also centrally controlled, any other method would be unacceptable on safety grounds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement