Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonewatch and Data Protection

Options
  • 08-04-2004 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Quick question that I hope you can help with. Recently, I made an enquiry with Eircom Phonewatch with regards to their systems as they had discounted pricing for the period I rang. I decided not to go any further however and left it at the phone call conversation. I then had a call last week from them to see if I was still interested. That Im fine with.

However, my problem arose last night, when sitting at home with my wife over dinner, my mobile phone rang. When I answered the call, a lady from a company called "Catalyst" was on doing market research. She said that she had recieved my details from Eircom Phonewatch! I never permitted them to release my details for either internal communication and especially not for use by external parties! This is something I am rigorous about ensuring doesn't happen!

Anyway, just wondered if anyone else has had any similar experience and if anyone has done anything about it. This is a breach of the Data protection act...

Voodoo

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

yeah from Eircom

THey kept phoning me after I'd migrated to Esat BT, I threatened Data Protection act then hung up the next two occasions they phoned, nothing since

I also got/getting hounded by Dell and those bloddy flyers via the post, again complained via phone/email/writing - I was getting 6/7 copies of the same thing every month. Am now down to 1 a month and hopefully that will stop soon.
    The mailshoot person said they probably got my name/address off the deed poll, which apparantly is sold in Ireland.
    I came off the deed poll last year and now am getting hardly any junk mail - even MBNA don't love me anymore.

When you pick up the phone and they identify themselves just tell them you are a visiting relative and the person they are looking for is deaf, it works, I used it with One Direct who were bugging the crap out of me a few years back

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Complain to the Direct marketing association about Eircom and the other shower.

All Details linked Here

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dell are a hoot, they add you to their DM list if you order a computer on the hp and get turned down. (Permanant TSB seem to have weird hp requirements too, but that's another topic.) So effectively they're saying "you're not good enough to buy a computer off us, but here's our direct marketing shíte anyway". Which to my mind is a bit like offering a cup of tea to a homeless guy and then throwing it in the gutter before he can drink it.

So no Mensa members in the marketing department in Dell... although I guess that applies across the board to the marketing fraternity. The world'd be a better place if every man jack of them was shot the very second they received their degrees.

"Crucifixion party? Out the door, line on the left, one cross each. Next!"

adam

Advertisement