Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a text message wipe the numbers in your phone?

Options
  • 08-04-2004 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭

Can a text message wipe the numbers in your phone?

This has just happened to a friend of mine. The numbers stored in her phone have been wiped.

Has this happened anyone before?

Is there anything that can be done to get the numbers back?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

text virus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

I don't know any way to get the numbers back, but if you know how she did that (have all her number deleted with a text message) then I beg you to tell me please..... I know some people I would like to play this trick to :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

lol, sms trojan:D
    sounds a bit unlikely, she prolly deleted them by accident & is trying to cover her mistake up...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

A textually transmitted disease???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

not a personal issue
    I'm moving it to Mobiles / PDAs
    B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by Silverfish

oh dear......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

As far as I am aware, its not really possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Could happen, some text messages can take advantage of vulnerabilities in certain phones. Think that happened to a friend of mine with a Siemen's phone before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

not possible at all. must have deleted by mistake, or she had number saved on phone and switched phones or something along those lines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Something similar happened to me recently...I started receiving odd messages from a person claiming this was 'their number' and then my phone kept turning itself on and off intermittently/erratically for the next few hours.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

remember hearing something about this a long time ago and found the link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1762298.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Mad Hatter

Originally posted by Silverfish

10/10 - :D:D:D:D:D LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

What about service texts? Like the ones that open straight away, carrying operator settings etc. They can instruct the phone to do certain things.

Friend of mine has a text on phone, every time we try read it, the phone turns off. Stange.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

she didn't switch the selected memory from sim to phone or something like that, for example all my numbers are on the sim, if i select the phone memory i have no numbers

get "selected memory empty"

data

Advertisement