Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yay!

Options
  • 08-04-2004 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

I like this board already!

Just curious to know of peoples own experiences with the paranormal?

Is there any reason why there seems to be a concentration of Paranormal sightings in Co. Wexford?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

first something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I couldn't think of anything interesting... sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Not even some inexplicable supernatural experience from that one time, at band camp?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Sarky we promised we'd never speak of that!!

I wasn't probed at band camp and that's that!

Can you not just leave it!!

*sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

w00t, new board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Originally posted by Amz
    I like this board already!

Just curious to know of peoples own experiences with the paranormal?

Is there any reason why there seems to be a concentration of Paranormal sightings in Co. Wexford?
    I didn't know there was a concentration of paranormal stuff in Wexford, but I live just across the river, and I've seen ghosts and faries. The ghosts or spirits isn't suprising though, my house is over 230yrs old, there's bound to be "atmosphere" from all the people who've been born, lived and died there. As for the faries, well I haven't seen them in a long time, not since the corporation got rid of the fairy-bush at the top of the hill, it was right in the middle of a junction for a long time. I'd like to think there was a curse on the place now, but maybe it's just following the workmen...

Are you sure they were fairies, and not malign cotton based life forms intent on eating your hair? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I've heard a good number of ghost stories from Wexford now that I think of it. But I see form thst other thread that Charleville castle is supposedly haunted.. that's only over the road from where I live!! Cooool!! :cool:

Originally posted by Sarky
    Are you sure they were fairies, and not malign cotton based life forms intent on eating your hair? :)
    Maggot! Of course they were fairies! Those sentient balls of cotton were entirely unrelated!

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd imagine a lot of the stories from Wexford originated in Loftus Hall, it's one of these old mansions where the devil is supposed to have appeared at a card game, afaik there's places with the same story all over the country. What I can't understand is why the devil would feel the need to come here for a game, surely all the best card players are in hell?

• Advertisement

:eek: *gasp* I just got a pm from sarky saying he'd come meet me, after he arrived! Does that mean he has some kind of occult force in him?!

Originally posted by fozzle
    :eek: *gasp* I just got a pm from sarky saying he'd come meet me, after he arrived! Does that mean he has some kind of occult force in him?!

Just because there were strange carvings on that dil- Er, never mind. >_<

Lol! Oh dear god!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Paratroopers are troopers who jump out of planes right.
    So is this the skydiving forum for normal people ?

'twas the ESB that killed all the ghosts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

'twas the ESB that killed all the ghosts...

yeah maybe, although with all the distractions in modern life people tend to veer away from spiritualism, and even exploration of various aspects of the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Originally posted by bug
    yeah maybe, although with all the distractions in modern life people tend to veer away from spiritualism, and even exploration of various aspects of the mind.
    That's very, very true. People have become far too materialistic.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd imagine a lot of the stories from Wexford originated in Loftus Hall, it's one of these old mansions where the devil is supposed to have appeared at a card game, afaik there's places with the same story all over the country. What I can't understand is why the devil would feel the need to come here for a game, surely all the best card players are in hell?

The story goes that a ship crashed on the rock at 'Hook Head' and the captain of the ship was brought to Loftus Hall to recuperate. While there he partook in a card game with the residents of the house and some people who were visiting the family!! His partner for the night was a young girl who was delighted with the attention she was getting off this young captain. During the course of the game, she accidently let her cards fall, when she reached down to retrieve them, she saw hoofs instead of feet belonging to the captain. She screamed and then the captain apparently turned into a ball of flames which shot up throught the ceiling!! It is said that the ceiling was never able to be repaired and apparently the young girl went mad and was locked in the basement of the house!! Her coffin had to be specially made as her back and fused together and she was all bent over!!!

Loftus Hall is now locked up and nobody is allowed in it!! But just looking at it from the road gives you a chill!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by MeatProduct
    That's very, very true. People have become far too materialistic.

Nick
    Ever see how much equipment ghost hunters use these days - cameras, thermometers, motion detectors etc. etc.

Capt'n Midnight I think you have purposefully missed the point.
    The point was, expressing the opinion that materialism in the general scence, diverts peoples attention from spiritualism and even imagination.

You wouldnt really call a scientist materialistic because he got the use of a brand new laser to further his research ;)

Originally posted by misswex
    The story goes that a ship crashed on the rock at 'Hook Head' and the captain of the ship was brought to Loftus Hall to recuperate. While there he partook in a card game with the residents of the house and some people who were visiting the family!! His partner for the night was a young girl who was delighted with the attention she was getting off this young captain. During the course of the game, she accidently let her cards fall, when she reached down to retrieve them, she saw hoofs instead of feet belonging to the captain. She screamed and then the captain apparently turned into a ball of flames which shot up throught the ceiling!! It is said that the ceiling was never able to be repaired and apparently the young girl went mad and was locked in the basement of the house!! Her coffin had to be specially made as her back and fused together and she was all bent over!!!

Loftus Hall is now locked up and nobody is allowed in it!! But just looking at it from the road gives you a chill!!
    I've been in it, they ran a café there for a while, although, somehow they managed to have it in the one room at the back of the house without a sea view! Mysteriously enough we weren't allowed in the room with the un-fixable ceiling though!:rolleyes:
    Actually, it was a lovely house, had a gorgeous staircase if I remember correctly...

• Advertisement

Is it the Dinka tribe in Africa ?
    Anyway there is this crowd that live in a swamp and there is a shortage of stone and apart from imported metal tools nothing they make lives on after them. They aren't big into material possessions simply because they can't store them or keep them or pass them on..

For ghosts should there not be more activity where more people have died, most of the extermination camps, the killings a decade ago in Rewanda, South East Asia, The Gulf (over 1.5m died in the Iran-Iraq way).

You give a scientist a brand new laser to further his research and the next thing you know he (or she) is trying to take over the word , threatening us with oblivion with some new fangle laser death ray ....

You give a scientist a brand new laser to further his research and the next thing you know he (or she) is trying to take over the word , threatening us with oblivion with some new fangle laser death ray ....
    yes, well I know a few of them and they havent been to interested in world domination.
    as for the part of your post that was on topic as such, I dont know if certain areas
    have more activity because of deaths in one particular area, it seems to be the case that with paranormal happenings the first action that people take is to research the history of the area and see if there well any untimly deaths or murders, but because its the first point of research that doesnt neccessarily mean that deaths denote higher levels of paranormal activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

I don't understand why the emphasis on card games, why doesn't the fella have a go at the roulette? I'd like to see him put a bet on the dogs tbh :P He could even have a go at directly influencing the outcome of sporting events - though there would have to be limitations, after all once you've played Badminton it's pretty difficult to retain credibility as the lord of all that is evil :p

Being less silly now, abandoned halls and the like are always scary and there usually tends to be some story behind them... locally there's a kind of old stately home...it's now used as an old folks home just to make matters even more creepy... I know someone who worked there and they were pretty much frozen in fear once when one poor old dear cried out "No!! Nooo!! NOOOO!!!!"... until another resident shouted back from another room "Yes! Yes! Yes!" and my friend near fell on the floor laughing... another good one is an abandoned hospital which is always a good place to get the crap scared out of you if you creep in... I have a friend who went in once and found and proceeded to photograph a load of old hospital records (including documentation of deaths and post-mortems!) for a portfolio - bit mad if you ask me.

Edited for gratuitous use of "tbh"

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    bump

Did anyone else hear that? :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You know what happens when things go bump in the night?

The evil witch comes and casts a locking spell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement