Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about a new Admin forum....

Options
  • 08-04-2004 5:36pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Been thinking about how to cut down noise in the F/S forum without siffling the fun we all have chatting here about Boards and how it works. (I've had a great deal of time to think lying on my back in Canada you see).

Anyway, seems to me that the Boardserati as I call them (that would be you if you generally read or write to here) like to chat about Boards and how it works and how its running and generally shoot the breeze with the admins etc without *actually* having much of a suggestion or feedback to offer.

I'm a perfect example of this... I break my leg and I post here to let people know. Its not feedback, its not a suggestion lol, its somewhere I automatically thought to post it because most of the people who read here are people I have come to think of as "People I've Met". :)

We dont actually have a place to talk about *Boards* in a general chatty sort of way so I'm thinking maybe its time we packed our bags again and moved (just like we moved from Admin to F/S....remember the moaning and complaining about that move and it worked like a dream, too well maybe!)

So, I'm suggesting a "Chatter" forum under the Admin drop down which will be specifically for generally chat about boards, musings about how things are working or not, non-serious stuff and crap like the BLP (though frankly I find my broken femur more amusing but to each his own)... etc

The benefits are that we wont have the friction about whats "feedback/suggestion" and whats us shooting the sh*t with each other etc. I think it will help Ecksors blood pressure and also cut back on the noise in some of the more serious threads here (which, lets face it, are often dragged off topic by regulars using the thread as a sort of delayed-time IRC chat!)

Thoughts?

DeV.

ps: I hate the name "Chatter" so feel free to suggest alternatives if we are going to go ahead with it.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I hate the name "Chatter" so feel free to suggest alternatives if we are going to go ahead with it.

Call it Boards Discussion or something reasonably undefined.

While it's an idea, but most oft he general chatter in F/S is based around (in the loosest manner) some of the feedback and suggestions. Would some of the threads and posts occured if the origins hasn't been Feedback or Suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Boards Requests for serious stuff
    (will this be harshly moderated ? )

Boards Buzz or Boards Talk or Talkback or maybe just call it Flogen (I jest Flogen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Originally posted by DeVore
    ps: I hate the name "Chatter" so feel free to suggest alternatives if we are going to go ahead with it.

Moaning/Groaning forum maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

this all sounds really "voring" to me.

/runs to hide. Will not resurface till I know its safe.

Good idea IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

"Jalt"?
    "Session"?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

The benefits are that we wont have the friction about whats "feedback/suggestion" and whats us shooting the sh*t with each other etc. I think it will help Ecksors blood pressure and also cut back on the noise in some of the more serious threads here (which, lets face it, are often dragged off topic by regulars using the thread as a sort of delayed-time IRC chat!)

Wahey! I was very close to reactivating the "Fight the Power" forum just to keep the fights separate to the other stuff, and would like to throw open the idea of appeals of various kinds being focused in one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Sounds like an interesting idea. Is anyone else a member of the ACM? I got the latest copy of Communications through my door today, and there's an excellent article on community websites and the best ways to get community feedback, etc. I suggest checking it out. If I can get an online copy, I'll do my best to post it up later. Well worth reading though.

Edit: Lo and behold!

"Etiquette Online: From Nice to Necessary" by Jenny Preece

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

or maybe just call it Flogen (I jest Flogen)

:D;)

wow, this is such an honour.... what can I say??
    Well, Id like that god, thank you god.
    Id like to thank everyone that contributed to all my threads, amp baby, without you they wouldnt have been half as long....
    /me wipes tear.....

On a serious note, I think it could work, but as was pointed out, the general chatter that happens here usually comes from a genuine idea someone made, which just spirals off topic..... although its worth a shot....

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

babble board?
    Palaver?
    Parlor?

You dont want to create a second "After Hours" as such though. Sounds like a good idea too, possibly DeVore sking into a tree helped boards... or maybe not, only time shall tell. That poor, poor tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Just call it "boards". seeing as thats what its about. would make the most sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

We dont actually have a place to talk about *Boards* in a general chatty sort of way so I'm thinking maybe its time we packed our bags again and moved (just like we moved from Admin to F/S....remember the moaning and complaining about that move and it worked like a dream, too well maybe!)

So what happens when Chatter becomes the place where forums are suggested and the Freedom campaigns happen? Do we move again?

Personally I think the noise comes with the "serious" stuff and without strict moderation I can't see it being seperated easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

A new forum will make it easier to ignore, and thats not a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Possible names :

Boards Banter

Bullshit Corner (ala the drunks that sit in the pub all day at the counter talking crap)

Fl0g3n 4 m0D!11!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

<<~~//==Bo$ton==\\~~>> for mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Winters

Palaver?

Palaver is an excellent name IMO. It's a great word. Palaver. Isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

How about calling it "chit chat" in honour of our esteemed leader Sir Bertie who was absolutely wonderful at the Tribunial there during the week ;)

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    Palaver is an excellent name IMO. It's a great word. Palaver. Isn't it?

Nah that won't work - not without a "Right" before it! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Change the name of the "Test" forum to "Testes".

PS: Problem solved.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I had come up with Boards Babble but that might be seen as derogatory and God forbid in my new role of Moses I should do that.

I'm leaning towards "Ruminations" as that would seem neutral and reasonably accurate...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

I'm inclined to go with Crash on this one, "boards". It's almost invisable, non-descript and perfect.

Though I rarely post on F/S its usally a great read, and the fact that most of the best discussions come from the new (or not) ideas is my only hold back on the idea of the new forum. There is a margin of error, where it might not work. But if it does I'll add it to my subbed list any who.

• Advertisement

I had come up with Boards Babble but that might be seen as derogatory and God forbid in my new role of Moses I should do that.

I'm leaning towards "Ruminations" as that would seem neutral and reasonably accurate...

I wonder what % of boards population knows what ruminations means.

Boards Babble however does have a certain ring to it.

Originally posted by amp
    I wonder what % of boards population knows what ruminations means.

:rolleyes:

Boards Babble however does have a certain ring to it.

Yeah that about our level :rolleyes: ;)

Mike.

Gotta think about the lowest common denominator demograhic, we're gaining key market share in that catagory. ;)

Sadly thats true and also inevitable the greater the numbers the more idiots we will have as a % of the membership.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

pa·lav·er ( P ) Pronunciation Key (p-lvr, -lävr)
    n.

Idle chatter.
    Talk intended to charm or beguile.
    Obsolete. A parley between European explorers and representatives of local populations, especially in Africa

ru·mi·na·tion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rm-nshn)
    n.
    The act of pondering; meditation.
    The act or process of chewing cud.

TBH, if amps gonna start using big words then i suggest Mr.Dictionary for mod.

Originally posted by Doodee
    TBH, if amps gonna start using big words then i suggest Mr.Dictionary for mod.

Choice between an obsolete word and given that thisn't the 18th century and all or a word that describes it's contents as pondering and or meditation of it's posters.

So Chatter it is then. Onward ho to this promised land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I dunno... chewing the cud has a certain ring to it.

True, gotta think about the cul^H^H^Hfarmer demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Could we not do the reverse, creating a new forum for random complaints and anger management? "Phight Klub" or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Boards Discussion sounds good to me... But whatever the name, can Fight the Power be reopened and renamed...

Advertisement