Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Validation Help

Options
  • 08-04-2004 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

AlcoBuds Validation

Line 43, column 83: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "lightmap"
    Line 43, column 94: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "icons"
    Line 43, column 103: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "entrylist"
    Line 43, column 115: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "zoom"
    Line 43, column 122: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "welcome"

I use a Bravenet Guestmap - this is their code - can anything be done here?

1. Not allowed to have background on a TD attribute?
    2. Not allowed to set border=0 on a IMG tag?
    3. Not allowed to set height on a TABLE?

Total of 27 errors - 20 because of the Bravenet Guest Map link :( - 4 because of the link to a profile on a phpBB members on the forums which has a "u" in the link :(

"Line 227, column 90: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "u""

And the remaining 3 because of the above.

I've only looked at the homepage but once I can get that in shape I can handle the rest. Any advice?? I see people talking about going from a table format to a CSS format but I have little experience with CSS. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. use CSS (see http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.6 for TD atrtributes)
    2. prob is with TD tag not IMG
    3. use CSS - height attribute is a microsoft creation
    the u & "cannot generate system identifier..." is not the problem but the & is - maybe try escaping the & to &
    try them and come back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Originally posted by kbannon
    the u & "cannot generate system identifier..." is not the problem but the & is - maybe try escaping the & to &
    try them and come back to us.

That ampersand trick worked a treat - down to 23 errors - will look at your other suggestions.

Any ideas for the bravenet bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭JOOROWNED

hows about dump the bravenet map

I could do that or I could throw up a popup box with the bravenet code in another window and go from there - might be a bit messy though.

I'm down to 21 errors, 20 because of the bravenet thing.

One left because I'm using a background image on the table at the top of the page, this image is required - as it "stretches" depending on the users resolution. I switched other background images to colours where possible but cant here. Any suggestions??

<table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="100%" background="images/forum_head_bg.gif" style="border-collapse: collapse">

• Advertisement

I DID IT!

I added a new class to my css for TABLE BACKGROUND - success.

Now I just got to figure out what to do with the Member Map - damn crappy Bravenet code.

KBANNON - THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

DONE - no errors.

http://www.alcobuds.com/ is now Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!

Thanks for the advice, and for anyone who is wondering I have enjoyed talking to myself!!! :)

Advertisement