Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker on the BBC goes interactive

Options
  • 08-04-2004 9:51pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For the first time the BBC will have a full interactive service at the World Championships next week. This means that every ball potted will be viewable live over all 17 days. Some of the features are that you can view either of the 2 match tables live whenever there is play (Regardless if it's on BBC Two or not) & there'll be an up-to-date news and statistics service.

It will only be available on digital satellite here in Ireland (Which is a bitch for me as I'm with ntl :( ), but is available on all platforms in the UK.

See here for more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

This is great !!! . Theyve Finally caught up with SKY who had this service last year . Ive been watching the players championship this week and its great being interactive.

Its a good tournament too with the Quarter Finals being

Jimmy White V Ian Muchollach

Mark Williams V Peter Ebdon

Steven Hendry V Ken Doherthy

Ronnie Osullivan V Paul Hunter .

The reason u see so many top players in the one set on quater finals is because theres double the ranking points for this tournament , plus the nice cash prize of £82 , 500 for the winner and £5,000 for the highest break , plus £20,000 for any1 who makes a 147 .

well that probably deserved a Thread of its own , owh well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Yeh the interactive is a fantastic service. I got to see doherty (being knocked out unfortunately) while BBC were focusing on a different match...I suppose it's about time they did it alright, however the one thing about BBCs coverage is they have good commentators (except Willie Thorne, grrrr I really don't like him).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Genghis

It's John Virgo I can't stand. He tries to make every situation into a drama, and can't shut up.

I don't mind Willie Thorne, and I can tolerate Dennis Taylor, but Clive Everton has to be the best.

Oh, and thumbs up to the BBC - great coverage, and (unlike Sky) they offer continuous commentary on all interactive games. It does get a little strange at the end of a session, though. Just when you expect them to cut back to the studio for analysis, instead you hear the commentator saying "right, we're off for a cup of tea, see you in 15-20 minutes".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think BBC's interactive coverage is superb.

I actually really like both Thorne and Virgo, but I think Clive Everton is past his sell by date. Can't please everyone I suppose!

What about Dominic Dale in the studio? The poor lad is embarrasingly bad. I just cringe every time he's on.

Steve Davis is great though. After Stevens v Hunter he was asked:

"It must be very hard playing a good friend in a big match"

SD (poker faced): "I wouldnt know. I never had any friends in snooker":D :D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by The Rooster
    Steve Davis is great though. After Stevens v Hunter he was asked:

"It must be very hard playing a good friend in a big match"

SD (poker faced): "I wouldnt know. I never had any friends in snooker":D :D:D

Yeah, lol at that :D

I like all the BBC commentary team esp. Taylor, Thorne & Everton. Good to see Ray Edmonds back doing this tournament, but I wonder whats happened to Jim Meadowcroft, he hasn't been commentating for a year or two now, last I heard he was having "personal problems". I liked the way last year the BBC had a few of the top players doing a bit of commentary on their days off. (Hendry, Doherty & Higgins were a few I remember doing it)

Can't beat "the whispering" Ted Lowe though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I used to always wonder why the commentators took really long breaks between sentences but after hearing Dominic Dale commentating I now know why. He must be the worst commentator ever on the BBC, he just never shuts up. he's also really bad in the studio, he can't wipe the smile off his face. Dennis Taylor would be my favourite and I also don't mind john Virgo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Dennis Taylor is is my favourite commentator , with clive everton second .

Advertisement