Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ex rental bargain or beware?

Options
  • 08-04-2004 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

What should Ilook out for when buying an ex rental.This oneis annissanprimera estate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Service record, service record, service record! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

Not available and claims only 10k miles per year.Is that likely?

Ex-rental with 10k a year on the clock...and no history? er run away I'd say. You know what they say..If it looks too good to be true is proberly is!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Probably a lemon. Remember hundreds of people have probably (badly) driven it.

No one hires a car to do the weekly shopping and leave in the driveway for the rest of the week. It will have been on hire for a few days a week for whatever number of years (how old is it?), doing 50-200 miles per hire day. Expect it to possibly have at least 100,000 miles / km more than they are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Seems kind of dodgy to me I wouldn't buy an ex-rental anyway as you can be sure alot of those who drove it, drove the crap out of it. If you want my advice look for something else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My sister & her husband when last home from the US hired a car for their stay. I picked them up at the airport, brought them to the hire place behind the coachmans innn & had to show them how to use a manual gearstick & clutch.
    Half an hour later they were heading down (bunny hopping) the M1 with me behind when all of a sudden their reverse lights came on and scared the living shtie outta me.
    This car more than likely spent its (short?) life with the hire center being driven by the likes of these people.
    Furthermore, I suspect that cars aren't properly serviced between rental periods during the tourist season that there is likely to be significant permanent wear on the cars.
    Now do you want to buy the car?

Originally posted by kbannon
    My sister & her husband when last home from the US hired a car for their stay. I picked them up at the airport, brought them to the hire place behind the coachmans innn & had to show them how to use a manual gearstick & clutch.
    Half an hour later they were heading down (bunny hopping) the M1 with me behind when all of a sudden their reverse lights came on and scared the living shtie outta me.

:D I presume you sister never learnt to drive whilst here?

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

it was her other half driving but no, neither learned to drive here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Furthermore, I suspect that cars aren't properly serviced between rental periods during the tourist season that there is likely to be significant permanent wear on the cars.

True i worked ina rental place one summer and fairenough they changed the oil but not the filter and no i wouldnt buy an exrental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

how much is it going for? You can get low mileage 2-3 y.o. primeras in UK for around 5-6k sterling, even with VRT on top, that might be worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

Thanks all.Am put right off. Might try Silversides approach.Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I worked for a rental car company for 4 years. The cars are generally well maintained, but christ they do get hockeyed. Anything that is ever going to break on them has already been replaced. Most companies only have the cars for 6 - 12 months, so beware of '1 owner' cars. with 700 drivers..:D

Advertisement