Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing broadband trouble

• 08-04-2004 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭

I posted this on the technology forum. So far not much help. Should have posted it here really. Here's the last few posts anyway.

Ok I got a cable in town today and set up the network. I connected the dsl router and the two pc's to the 5 port switch. Set the tcp/ip to auto detect and bingo connection on both.

Couple of problems though. Neither comp can see the other and when I go to play games like cs online I keep getting spikes in the ping. What's causing this problem? One dsl connection should surely be able to handle 2 people playing cs online.

BloodBath

| Pentium 4 3.2(c)ghz with Thermalright sp-94 heatsink| |Abit Ic7 Max 3 | | Sapphire Radeon 9800XT | | 1 GB GEIL Ultra Platinum ddr 500mhz | | Creative Audigy 2 Soundblaster | | 2 x 120gb Samsung 7200rpm HD's with RAID 0 | Thermaltake Lanfire case | | Thermaltake 480W Purepower PSU |

Link | Report | IP: Logged

08-04-2004 22:14

BloodBath
    Crazy Poster

Alright trying to find out whats causing the problem. It's not an IOL problem. I shut down the other pc and my pings went back to normal. So started the other comp back up and kept monitoring pings from steam without opening cs. Then as soon as I opened steam on the other comp pings shot up. This is without even opening counterstrike.

Is this just a problem with steam or what? Is there any way I can fix it?

BloodBath

| Pentium 4 3.2(c)ghz with Thermalright sp-94 heatsink| |Abit Ic7 Max 3 | | Sapphire Radeon 9800XT | | 1 GB GEIL Ultra Platinum ddr 500mhz | | Creative Audigy 2 Soundblaster | | 2 x 120gb Samsung 7200rpm HD's with RAID 0 | Thermaltake Lanfire case | | Thermaltake 480W Purepower PSU |

08-04-2004 22:37

tuxx
    Freak

quote:
    Originally posted by BloodBath
    Alright trying to find out whats causing the problem. It's not an IOL problem. I shut down the other pc and my pings went back to normal. So started the other comp back up and kept monitoring pings from steam without opening cs. Then as soon as I opened steam on the other comp pings shot up. This is without even opening counterstrike.

Is this just a problem with steam or what? Is there any way I can fix it?

BloodBath

i would say steam is probably updating and taking up all the bandwidth

08-04-2004 22:54

BloodBath
    Crazy Poster

It's not updating. It would say it was if it was updating surely.

Right I see my computer is doing all the work. The dsl is going into the switch. Rather than just sharing between the 2 p.c's it's going to mine only so if I shut down the other p.c. can't access the internet.

So all the trafic is going through my computer.

BloodBath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

ok theres a couple of things you need to check.
    1. can you see shared folders from both pc's?
    just cause you can access the net doenst mean the network is setup properly.

2. do you haves dns turned on on the router?
    this is vital when the pc's try to obtain ip addreses.

3. check the ip addess it should be something like 192.168.0.xxx if the both pc have ip starting with something other than 192.169.x.x they may net be able to connect to each other. see if there is a dns gatway in the ip address should be something like 255.255.255.0

4. try and view the other pc in network neighbour hood.
    if you have a firewall set it to allow connections to the other pc. if you dont the other pc will not receive any data from your pc and ignore you.

if you cant see the other pc in network neighbour hood its unlikly you will be able to game with it.

finally if your using cloned copys of a game with the same cd key it may ignore the other computer once it works it there are 2 pc using the same cd key.

my advice is to get basic windows networking up and running and the rest should fall into place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It's not updating. It would say it was if it was updating surely.

Right I see my computer is doing all the work. The dsl is going into the switch. Rather than just sharing between the 2 p.c's it's going to mine only so if I shut down the other p.c. can't access the internet.

So all the trafic is going through my computer.

BloodBath

Sounds like you have internet sharing turned on. Turn it off to get the benefit of the router/modem.

As for you not being able to "see" the other computer, do they both belong to the same Workgroup ? XP/2000: right click My Computer, 98/ME right click Network Neighborhood, 95: right click "get real FFS !"

If your router has DHCP server capabilities turn this on and set both computers to obtain IP's automatically, If not find th IP of the router's ethernet port give your machines the same number but change the numbers after the last decimel point.

Hope this helps !

Tinky

Advertisement