Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just about to sign up for IOLBB, but is it the right choice?

• 09-04-2004 1:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

so here it is, another life about to be signed away, all in the hope of a decent internet connection.

so, with the way things stand at the moment with regard to the available packages from the different providers and the quality of service from each, am I making the right decision?

the reasons for my choice are as follows:

1. i'm not paying eircom one red cent more than i have to (nothing at all after august fingers croosed), so they aren't getting my business.

2. i'm going for the advantage & IOLBB plus combo package having phone and net with them to save a few quid more.

3. while 16gb of downloads isn't perfect, it's the best on offer at the minute, so I'm going to take it.

4. it was between iol and utv and utv have been getting more of a slagging here than iol recently, so i think i'm on to the better one of the two, considering eircom isn't even in the picture.

err, that's it really.

only question is, what's the modem they are supplying at the minute? seem to remember the advert saying 4 port ethernet jobbie with the iolbb plus pack, but not 100% sure on that, so don't quote me.

any ideas/opinions? all greatfully received.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

I just setup my IOLBB+ last night, and no problems at all yet. After spending the last 6 months deciding wheter I'd sign up to IOL or UTV, I eventually decided on IOLBB+ (Eircom line rental had an influence).

I've heard so many horror stories, right here in this forum, that I was sure something was going to go wrong. No worries yet, fingers crossed!!
    so, with the way things stand at the moment with regard to the available packages from the different providers and the quality of service from each, am I making the right decision?

I'd say definitely, at least based on my experience

I totally agree with all of the points you've made, no point in getting repetitive

Also using Bundle #5 from ESATBT

As for the modem, it's a ZyXel Prestige 623R-T1 ADSL Modem/Router , a nice little unit!

Hope all goes well for you and IOL BB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i ordered mine back a while ago, ring them up and see if they need a cancellation number from eircom though. i only found out the day before yesterday that they needed a cancellation number because supposedly i was receiving bb from eircom already. it seems that your dsl account becomes the property of eircom very easily, even looking at an eircom van the wrong way can make it happen!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by vibe666
    3. while 16gb of downloads isn't perfect, it's the best on offer at the minute, so I'm going to take it.
    I'd be hard pushed to even getting close to 16Gigs in a month.
    But that's just me.

As regards going with IOL... it's good when it works.
    But when it goes wrong - don't expect any help or word of what's going on from them.
    As far as I know - Netsource at least gives warning of expected downtime on their website, and only ties you to a two month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

boards.iol.ie does have some notification of outages. They're getting better.

I think the bit of tech support is the same with each ISP - ie crap support.

I've had very few, if any problems technically with Esat.

Just don't ask me about their customer care and billing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

thanks for the advise. I've just cancelled my ntl:digital as it wasn't getting used that much, so I'm back down to the basic analogue package now, which is all we were really using anyway, but I want to wait until I get that final digital bill out of the way before I sign up for IOLBB+ to avoid having loads of outgoings land on my doorstep at once.

anyone noticed if it makes a difference what time of the month you sign up? just thinking of billing times etc. and what worked out best for people. i'm assuming they bill you from the day you install it and get it up and running of course (might be wrong though). just wondered if it would make it easier to have it at the beginning or middle of the month, or just whenever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement