Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Insured by a Foreign Company?

Options
  • 09-04-2004 4:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Getting Car insurance for an irish citizen with an Irish registered car from another EURO-zone country.

Seen as we have a single market, does that include domestic insurance.
    I know companies can availe of insurance from British Insurers for example

Does anyone know if it is legally possible?
    If so, where and how and with whom?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I read in the Sunday Times round about Christmas time and they said "This time next year it will be possible to get insurance from EU Countries"

Even if you do manage to get insurance on the continent for example, it will be cheaper, but by how much will be interesting to see.

Also, I can't wait to see the look of the average Irish punters face(lookin to make a quick buck) when he puts in a claim for whiplash and he then recieves his cheque or no cheque at all.

I refuse to buy Insurance in this country until I can get insured over in Europe, I am hoping that the fact that i have French Nationality will give me an advantage in terms of cost ( but I can only presume that the Quotes will be based on where you passed your license and the other usual factors)

I recently got quoted for a 50cc Moped, SEVEN HUNDRED ****ING EURO(third Party), ahem, please excuse my outburst, I have been driving these things on the continent since I am 14, insurance in France would cost me a total of 80 Euro.

I know it is not fair/right to compare prices in different countries, but what I do think is fair is to highlight the astounding difference in Price and why we pay it. there are numerous factors which affect these prices naturally, these factors need to be recognised and addressed before we can see any reduction in the cost of insurance.

Some of my friends call me scabby for giving out about such prices and refusing to pay them (id rather walk to be perfectly honest and enjoy a nice Summer Holiday)......but then i think they are throwing their money down the toilet.

one of my friends as an example has a Honda CRX and pays 3,500 Per year, he is also living in a swanky place......what cracks me up is the guy can barely afford to live, yet he is willing to give 3.5k per year of his hard earned cash to an Insurance Company. (then of course this sparks off the mentality, if I am paying so much, then I want somthing back, and so the vicious circle of Insurance in Ireland begins.

End Rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

700E for a stupid 50cc? geez, how much damage can one do with a moped ffs. esp. third party only?
    sick sick sick
    love the way it's handled in some coutries - you get your licence, pay an average price, if you do something bad (claim) your premium goes up by 50-200% and will stay at those leves for some time untill you slowly get it down with ncb. perfect system long term wise I think

Advertisement