Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20,820 registered nicks

Options
  • 09-04-2004 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Wow 20k.

Sure most of them are Bubbles but it's a milestone nonetheless.

:D
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

wow thats a significant proportion of the young population of ireland (who i presume most of us are), how many are regular posters?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

wow 20K.... im always one to stick my name on a thread round here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

silverside: boards posters are not regular.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by yellum

and some of us are not so young.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm more a large ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Judging by the adds on day time TV a lot of the grey pound is being spent on this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Site is getting quite a bit busier too. Some days, we'll push over 150,000 pages, which works out to just under two pages a second nonstop for 24 hours. That P3 733 you gave us is really earning its keep!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I just had a quick look at the stats, in a 3 month period we get just under 10K unique *visitors* (thats about 7K registered, different users loging in and about 2.5K Guests). The margin for error in that number is considerable but the same as previous margins of error for that same stat.

Much scarier is that we only just broke 3 Million pages a month in Jan and in Mar we were knocking on 4Million, er... that sort of growth is just nuts.

Pages per month...
    Mar 2004: 3895187
    Feb 2004: 3325112
    Jan 2004: 3232073
    Dec 2003: 2726607

Its reassuring to see those sorts of numbers though as it means we must be doing something right...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I know several people over in After Hours that have sorted that very problem with doses of All Bran and brown toast

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

How many nicks have over 100 posts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Over 13,000 users have posted. Almost 2000 have more than 100 posts. Almost 6000 users logged in in the last 60 days. Over 6500 for the last 90 days, which backs up DeVore's stats and gives an idea of the margin of error.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by ecksor
    Over 13,000 users have posted. Almost 2000 have more than 100 posts. Almost 6000 users logged in in the last 60 days. Over 6500 for the last 90 days, which backs up DeVore's stats and gives an idea of the margin of error.
    Over 13,000 have posted. That leaves alot of unused accounts sitting there doing nothing. Do unused accounts take up much space ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Now just imagine if we could all get along....

Why we could change the country, save the world, free oppressed peoples, er :ninja:

utopia.jpg

Or we could consider why the likes of me spend so much time here. :p

Mike.

No. There are signatures on boards that take up more space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Originally posted by DeVore
    Pages per month...
    Mar 2004: 3895187
    Feb 2004: 3325112
    Jan 2004: 3232073
    Dec 2003: 2726607

Do you reckon that some of this huge growth has to do with broadband finally becoming available at reasonable prices in Ireland?

Hard to say.

However, the number of users we're getting coming back regularly is steadily going up and we're in the nice position that a lot of new forums can draw upon a large pool of people to sustain them, which attracts new users, which pushes the growth, etc etc.

In short, I think that boards' growth is related to Metcalf's law.

I was in Peats last week and overheard one of the guys behind the counter recommending the for sale forums here to pick up some stuff, he said that because the users here were knowledgable you were less likely to get ripped off. That sort of word of mouth surely has to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Well, congratulations on the figures! I am a relatively recent convert and I think boards.ie is great! The figures can only get eve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I was in Peats last week and overheard one of the guys behind the counter recommending the for sale forums here to pick up some stuff, he said that because the users here were knowledgable you were less likely to get ripped off. That sort of word of mouth surely has to help!
    Did you introduce yourself and tell him to keep up the good work? :D

Nope. He looked kinda familiar though so maybe he'll read this and tell us who he is :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The For Sale forum is a powerhouse of forum. It's one of the few forums were there's tons of people viewing it. It'd be interesting to know just how much money passes hands as a direct result of it.

Plyd to the For Sale mods. Even Tilt I suspose. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Nope. He looked kinda familiar though so maybe he'll read this and tell us who he is :)

Maybe Patman is moonlighting... tsk tsk! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Although I'm not an admin (heaven forbid!), I've had similar experiences - people recommending boards.ie ot me for buying cheap stuff and also recommending it to find band members, "cos it's really busy". I usually just reply with "Yah, I know, I live there"

;)

Advertisement