Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan Extension Cables

Options
  • 09-04-2004 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

I was going to make my own extension cables for the fans around the case so I could route them around the edges of the enclosure, nice and neat. I thought I could just take the sockets off some spare "short" cables, get some appropriate wire and click it all together. Now, the socket on the female connector I could handle as they just crimp onto the wires then get shoved into the socket, but the male pins need to be soldered to the wires, and I don't have a soldering iron (haven't had one since my brother took it off me after taking his radio apart as a kid...).

So, it looks as if I'll have to buy some (or buy a soldering iron and some heat shrink). Places like overclock.co.uk have them, but only in 12" (30cm) lengths (€4!). I think I'll need 50-60cm lengths to go from the fan controller to the bottom-back of the case. Any ideas where I could source these locally? Or how cheap is a soldering iron? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You could always just cut the wire comming from the fan and add in a piece of wire? The straight through crimp connectors are prob the best option (available in most motor shops, electrical etc)....... thats the road id prob be taking, mabye snip it close to the fan and hide the connectors?

Or, there available here...... http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Cat_Cabling_Power__45_46.html for €1-99 with much cheaper delivery than overclockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    You could always just cut the wire comming from the fan and add in a piece of wire? The straight through crimp connectors are prob the best option...

Doh! Yep, I can do that. The sick thing is I have a bag of these connectors and a crimping tool and never even thought of it! :) Still too early...

Thanks for the kick in the right direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Still too early...

lol, yea it definetly is...... would love to still be in bed!!

Advertisement