Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exciting new art!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HelgaTheSwedishMilkmaid

Heylo!

There have been some new and exciting changes made to the defastenist website, including news and information about defastenist events and exhibitions, a ...really random catalog page...im just looking at it now... , and pictures of me and my work at last hehe :)

Have fun!

Nxo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rueyn

is really quite good!

Defastenism website.

-rueyn.

Thankyou Rueyn! Do you do art stuff too?

The Defastenists have recently become associated with (?correct phrase?) an American remodernist group called the Stuckists whose manifesto is very similar to our own.

www.stuckism.com

Also, I will most probably be exhibiting some of my prints,most of which I would class as defastenist, at an open-air exhibition at Airfield House, Dundrum on the 26th and 27th of June. This will give any of ye who are interested a chance to see some defastenist, if not very good quality, work close up :)

The open day plan will probably have to be put on hold til we're back in college, but I believe Gary's going to be hosting another exhibition in Paris during the summer. Keep your eyes on the website if you're gonna be over there.

"a willingness..... to risk offence by unexpected confrontation can yield rewards"
    - Sir Nicholas Serota (Experience or Interpretation)

SEROTA TELLS OFF THE STUCKISTS
    An angry Sir Nicholas Serota, Director of the Tate Gallery, rounded on Stuckist co-founder, Charles Thomson, in Trafalgar Square today.

A few minutes earlier Rachel Whiteread's 'sculpture' of a resin cast of a plinth placed upside-down on a plinth had been unveiled by Culture Secretary, Chris Smith.

As Smith left the low podium, Thomson clambered over the crowd barrier onto it and addressed the crowd through the p.a. His statement addressed Smith's statement two years ago that there should be more painting in the Turner Prize (this year there is none at all).

Thomson's large placard read: "Mr Smith, do you really think this stupid plinth is art?"

Simultaneously, more banners were held up by half a dozen members of Students for Stuckism (led by S.P.
    Howarth) and other groups. One read, "New Labour, Old Saatchi". Another showed Thomson's painting of Sir Nicholas with a pair of red knickers.

A livid Serota approached Thomson afterwards and labelled his action as "cheap" for making use of the work of another artist. "It's Dada," was the reply. Serota, seemingly on the point of meltdown, suggested Thomson thought he could do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted.

Thomson said this was not the case, but that Serota and a small number of other people controlled the art world, and that the Stuckists were forced to resort to such tactics in order to get their point of view heard - at which Serota walked off.

The Stuckists understand that Sir Nicholas Serota is a strong advocate of artists being 'challenging' and wonder where we have gone wrong. The wrong sort of challenge perhaps?

04 June 2001 back to top

It has been confirmed:

I will be exhibiting Defastenist prints at the Open-Air Exhibition at Airfield House, Dundrum this weekend (26-27 june)! It's part of the Dundrum festival! I can't wait! Hoorah!

Don't forget the website www.defastenism.4t.com - there's gonna be exhibitions in Paris and New York soon!

Please excuse the blatant self-promotion :)

xo

• Advertisement
Advertisement