Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about the profile folders in XP

Options
  • 09-04-2004 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

I am looking to move the location of the folders that contain the profile info (ie: C:\Documents and Settings\SomeUser\). I am hoping to make it D:\Profile Folders\SomeUser\

Anyone have any ideas. I think its possible and i could not fuigure it out (but it was 8:30am and I had not slept yet and I am now omw out.
    If anyone can help please it would be great.

dara

P.S: please ask questions if you need me to clarify what i am looking for.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can't move or copy a profile while you are using it.

you can COPY a profile (ie backup it) by logging in as a different user, right clicking on my computer - properties - advanced and into user profiles...

admin tools - computer management - users - properties - profile path
    No idea if this works or not - at a guess leaving it blank reverts to default profile of %systemdrive%\documents and settings\%usename%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

thanx cap (soz, not been on latly, been real busy)

ok, about moving when using, I know that one :) but its more about making a permanant move so the folder is not used in the c drive and used in the d drive although the OS will be still in the c drive.
    Reason is that if the C drive needs formating I will have the profiles even if its a serios prob and dont get a chance to back them up or can't get at them.

The point would be to make it so the OS uses them in another location (ie: C:\Documents and Settings\SomeUser\). Kind of like when u move the location of the "My Documents" folder from default to another location.

Any help would be apreiciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 TheGrizz(Irl)

"Reason is that if the C drive needs formating I will have the profiles even if its a serios prob and dont get a chance to back them up or can't get at them."

by backing the files to ur d: ..would this not solve the problem without all the messing about ...back it up every week (should over write the previous weeks backup)..any probs with C: and u still got ur profile in D: ..when u fix C: copy the filed back from D:

=======
    life can be simple

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

have a look here

Advertisement