Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 shotgun + 1 Disgruntled Farmer

Options
  • 09-04-2004 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Couldn't find this story reported anywhere but last Saturday a good portion of north Dundalk's power supply and the entire north fibre loop went down due to a collapsed ESB line.

Apparently a farmer with a gripe against ESB (which I was told has been going on for some time) decided to get even by taking a shotgun to one of the pylons that carries the fibre loop.

Digiweb, who were supposed to go live with their new ESBT line the following Monday, have had to delay the switchover for another week as a result.

Has anyone else heard anything on this? Frankly, I think it's hilarious that one grumpy man can take down 50m worth of fibre. I hope someone confiscates his shotgun because people who are relying on the fibre might be slightly upset when some guy decides he has been overcharged twice this month cause that shed and fridge freezer is clearly on Finbar's land and not his!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

confiscate his shotgun? My word.. what good would that do? I'm sure if he can manage to bring down all that fibre single-handedly, he can do it with a handful of rocks at most twice as quickly as with a shotgun.

God bless that man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by The Clown Man
    the entire north fibre loop went down due to a collapsed ESB line.

Because of the redundancy of the figure-of-eight, traffic can be rerouted in <50ms - part of planning for lightning strikes. The northern spur (Donegal) isn't as failsafe, last time I checked, but weren't they talking of connecting Lifford/Strabane some months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Someone with a digger in Bridgend (in Donegal, near Derry city) took out the main link into Inishowen (which is a big area) and we were left with only a local service for a couple of days. The worst of it is that we have two or three major international call centres here that were going to create even more jobs, but I've a feeling they've changed their mind since. Especially since this is the third time this happened over the past couple of years.

Flipping ridiculous.

Advertisement