Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isnt it funny

Options
  • 09-04-2004 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right board for this or if its been posted before, but I just had to comment.

I find it absolutely hilarious how people comment to me about how students are scum and "robbing us of our taxes" etc. etc.

Currently I'm at the end of 3rd year in college.

Its absolutely certain that I'm going to fail.

I have a certificate from 2nd year but thats basically piss. No hope of getting a job from it.

So what are my prospects for this up and coming summer? Why, I'm going to sign on the dole.

All I have to do is get a letter from the college saying that I'm no longer attending (until I repeat next year) and voila, free money. Its amazing though, its means tested for the grant and as my parents earn above a certain amount I'm not elligible but all of a sudden if I apply for the dole my parents no longer come into it.

What kind of a social welfare system do we have in this country anyway?

It doesnt apply to me but alot of other people could easily pass their college courses if they didnt have to work part time to support themselves because their parents are making a decent living.

A friend of mine had to work himself stupid last year trying to juggle college work and a part time job so he could get through the year.

Another friend of mine took a year out of college to sign on the dole, then returned with a "back to education" allowance (i.e. the dole) and free rent allowance.

This whole thing makes me sick. If you would look after the people who actually make an effort and go to college then maybe we wouldnt have to fork out so much social welfare to college dropouts or people who find its easier just to leave secondary school and sign on the dole.

If ever there was a reason for me to take up politics, this is it.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

they will just introduce student loans like england where you can borrow but not have to pay it back until you reach a certain income level.

am hoping to get into scotland this year, will work through the summer and hopefully have enough saved so i don't have to work through collage.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

I take it you're not living at home, because if you are you won't get the full dole. In fact, you'll probably get almost nothing.

he'll get the single persons allowance which is about €130 a week

Even if he's living at home with parents who are too well off to qualiff doe a grant? If that's true then it's changed a lot in the past few years.

i got that much while i was living at home with parents who where both earning well.

• Advertisement

That's just too back for us taxpaying schmucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think you should go into politics.
    After all, if our illustrious leader can lead the country with that woeful social welfare system without the benefit of a college education, you, with two years of college education, should be far more successful....

Advertisement