Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a year out?

• 09-04-2004 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

TBH i really haven't gotta clue as to what i want to do in college after my LC this summer. I put down arts as my first choice, but it was thinking about changing it and doing drama in trinity instead. Thing is Drama is a restricted course so i have to apply next year. I was thinking about taking a year out and going to work in london for the year to make some money, At least if i change my mind again i can defer arts to next year and take it up then. Can anyone give me any advice as to what to do or accomodation/jobs in london for the year any help/replies would be much appreciated + was anyone else thinking about doing something similar to this next year?

Cheers
    Ned

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

take the year out, go get some life experiance!

(thats what i plan to do anyway!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Yeah, my mate is thinking about doing it. I think it will do her a world of good. And if you are going to be working all the money you will save is GREAT! Esp for making college easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

I'm on a year out after the LC, and I don't regret it. Read. Travel. Broaden your horizons, as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hell Kat

if you go to the classifieds > work section here, theres a thread there that a guy posted with just what ur lookin for on it. its called moving to england and it has lots of help in it for u there. good luck next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I'm in my first year at college and i wish i'd taken a year out. I needed a break from exams and I still do now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Do it, I wish I had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

i deferred college and spent the year in australia. best year of my life and i'd recommend it to anyone. you'll come back a lot more mature and find it easier to cope with college. it was a bit hard at first to get into a routine after a year of complete freedom but it was definately worth it.

go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Teddi

the only bad thing i can think of about taking out a year is the probablity of loosing motivation and momentum for studying etc...

the summer alone messes me up for that!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

i hope to take a year out after im done my leaving. I want to go to new york to work for a few months then to calfornia mebbe. I am worried about losing motivation for study though.

btw anyone know how i would going about organisingthat sort of year out to nyc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Originally posted by Teddi
    the only bad thing i can think of about taking out a year is the probablity of loosing motivation and momentum for studying etc...

the summer alone messes me up for that!! ;)

Yeah, its very hard to get going after summer alone , I know I wouldn't of went back after a year out cause you get a job and get lazy. And when your livin at home a part time shit job gives you enough money to enjoy life.

If I were you I would do real well in the LC and do arts, But while in arts reapply through for your trinity course. Pick arts you like and think of the year as one of casual learning, also get a part time job.
    My reasoning for this is that you won't be kept out of learning loop and , and if your working a part-time job save the money for the summer 2005. Because remember colleges get 4-5 months summer holidays and you will have plenty of time to travel then.
    I think you can do this with the cao you better ask them, its adviseable not to ask a career guidance counseller cause all mine ever told me was i'd be an accountant (cause she was one) and another was terribly in decisive and just gave me pamphlets!

whatever you do good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

A year out after the Leaving Cert. - defintely recommended...from my experience most college first years expericence the "the freedom buzz"( i.e. no more homework, no more compulsory 9am starts) for the whole of first year...

Why not sample all of this (new found) freedom abroad in London or whereever you're thinking of going - much better fun and you don't have the worry of exams.

By taking a year out...you will get a total differenent perpsective on college life.

Go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

I did a portfolio course which is so laid back it almost was a year out. I really enjoyed it but the only problem I find is now getting motivated to study. I always had problems studying but now it's near impossible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

after my crappy l.c. i moved in with some of my college bound friends and have had a great laugh,problem is im repeating my l.c. and am doing fuk all...bummer.

Advertisement