Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting I-Pod abroad, good idea?

Options
  • 09-04-2004 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

i was looking at getting an i-pod but found them to be very pricey here and was thinking of maybe getting one abroad.
    only thing is the battery! a friend told me that in dixons you can getinsurance for it and they rerplace the unit if the bat fails whitin the insurance period, would that work?
    also which would be the best buy 20 or 40, is there any difference between them appart from the hd size?

jozi

anyone one here buy one abroad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the battery is like any lithium battery fades with time i think and depends on how much you charge it.

i have a 10gb ipod got it cheap with eircom broadband tis a nice piece but i won't pay full price for it in ireland so abroad sounds like a good deal

i wouldn't bother with any of that insurance stuff i don't usually bother with that, if the battery went for me within warrant i'd bring it back under my statutory rights buts that just me, if you got something like accidental damage cover that might be handy, i dropped mine one day when i was going home taking it out of my locker, that same day the case i had ordered for it had arrived at home and i knew it was waiting for it

with regards to the 20 and the 40gb versions apart from the hdd size difference, i think the 40gb has slightly different dimensions then then 20gb one i.e. its a little bigger and heavier as i result as well i think.

i'm not sure about the larger version but mine only came with a firewire cable, this wasn't a problem for me as i have a firewire connection thru my sound card, also a firewire connection will charge the ipod when connect tot he computer but a direct usb connector won't. however there is a usb connector you can get that has a firewire connector that you can connect into the normal plug charger so it is possible to charge the unit when connected thru usb and other connection put into the plug charger

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

applecare is useful.

I've bought iPods and Powerbooks in Europe and USA and have been able to get service/support on both sides of the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Originally posted by shabbyroad
    applecare is useful.

I've bought iPods and Powerbooks in Europe and USA and have been able to get service/support on both sides of the pond.

I got mine in the US.

The Apple Care policy covers the battery and it a worldwide policy so shouldn't make any difference where you live !

Advertisement