Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WAP 2.0 - MMS/GPRS with new handsets

• 29-03-2004 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi there!!

I wonder if someone can help my dilemma!! I have a nokia 7600 (yeah the shape is funny, I know) and I need the settings for O2 for MMS and GPRS. I have searched through this forum and tried all settings, but I keep getting messgages like "Check Homepage" "Conection Failed" and "Connection Refused".
    Its a WAP 2 3G Mobile. I looked on the support site for Nokia and only Metior have there settings there to download!! (Well done Meteior) but why is O2 and Vodafone a little late on this?

Any help will be good, thanks in advance!!

Gary Midgley

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

are you trying to use 3g to connect or gprs?

there may be an issue with it not being a supported handset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 garymidgley

The phone is auto changeable from 3G to Normal, So it connects at GPRS currently, well at least it tries to connect at GPRS rates!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Vodafone and O2 are not supporting WAP2 at the moment, ive had a 6600 since december and its very annoying not being able to use wap/mms. ive asked every month since then to see when they will support it, ive heard its may all the way to september from so many Vodafone people. Ive lost hope.

how much did you pay for the 7600. do you like it?

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 garymidgley

Yeah It is a nice phone, works well and the USB cable is great!!
    I paid €700 for it, (well the company did) I was wondering if it was worthwhile moving over to Meteor to enable the facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

€700?

Its only €559 sim free in CPW?

I was thinking of that but im in a years contract, so ill just have to wait it out?

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Use yonder direct internet settings for WAP2 unsupported phones.

The 6600 and 7600 are WAP 2 machines whereas Vodafone and O2 only have WAP 1.1 gateways so you must use their internet gateways.

On O2, use open.internet as your APN, and fill in your DNS settings as 62.40.32.33 and 62.40.32.34

You'll be online in no time presuming you have internet access acivated on your account

I have the settings on a page:

http://www.cleansounds.com/mobileisp.html

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

So I got my 7200 today in the post (gorgeous phone) but it seems O2 Ireland aren't set up to give me MMS/GPRS settings for the handset. It's not a HUGE deal really, cos I don't send many MMS or use the GPRS 'net thing a lot. I'm just wondering does anyone know if it's a big deal to have particular handsets ready for the O2 settings on their end? Does it cost them a lot of money to enable them? I can see through the Nokia site that Ireland's list of Nokia handsets that can be set up for MMS/GPRS is pretty damn small compared to other countries.
    For reference I'm on O2 monthly bill (+5) and I had MMS/GPRS no problem on my 7210 before this. I'm not asking WHERE to get settings cos I can find them, it's just that they don't actually work/deliver properly when I try & get them from the website. I was on to O2 customer service earlier today, they didn't have a clue and just told me to keep trying the website, and that they'd keep trying to send the settings from their end. The settings *almost* come through to the phone, but then nothing happens. I can receive the UK settings for MMS/GPRS no problem from the Nokia website, so it's definitely an O2 Ireland deficiency.Fair enough O2 aren't selling the phone in the Republic of Ireland, but that's why I'm wondering is it difficult/a lot of work for O2 to allow new handsets access to their service settings?

PS- I was in Coleraine yesterday and the range of handsets available is MUCH better i.e the new ones are in stores already, whereas we wait forever for them down here. Why are O2 & Vodafone so slow to bring new phones onto the Irish market in the Republic when they have no problem getting them into stores in the Northern Ireland and mainland UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

OK my bad. I didn't know there was a thread for this stuff already. I posted mine, then it was moved here.

Least I know now why the settings weren't coming through. Lazy ass O2 not being ready for new technology. Who'd have thought it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by TCamen
    Why are O2 & Vodafone so slow to bring new phones onto the Irish market in the Republic when they have no problem getting them into stores in the Northern Ireland and mainland UK?

Add that question to
    Why are there no good anytime minute packages in Ireland? and why are phones not free like in the UK?
    The answer ...
    No competition - 2 national networks and no MVNO V 4 national networks and 5 MVNO in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

Originally posted by rabbitinlights
    Vodafone and O2 are not supporting WAP2 at the moment, ive had a 6600 since december and its very annoying not being able to use wap/mms. ive asked every month since then to see when they will support it, ive heard its may all the way to september from so many Vodafone people. Ive lost hope.

how much did you pay for the 7600. do you like it?

Sean
    Why not switch to meteor? I have a 6600, its works like a charm! i just have to get opera working yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 4Horsemen

I have been unable to configure this phone despite the great advice and settings given in this forum... I spoke to Vodafone data team in March and they said that Wap 2.0 should be enabled April 1st - there must be something wrong with the settings that I'm entering.

The only difference that I can see are the primary and secondary proxies on my phone - are these enabled? I've have them enabled and use the same address in each. If I disable them I can't see where I'd enter an IP address...

Sugestions or help greatly appreciated!

4Horsemen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

Originally posted by Ebonyks
    Use yonder direct internet settings for WAP2 unsupported phones.

<<SNIP>>

Darragh

I assume these settings will get you web access ... but won't get MMS working right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

yes - it's a 'regular' ISP connection e.g. for use with the built in mail client or the Opera Series 60 browser

BrianG

Advertisement