Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclock nfs-xp2500

Options
  • 09-04-2004 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Quick question on overclocking my nf7-s and barton xp2500,i was wondering what the best selection of values to get it running stable at overclocked speeds?
    I have 768mb twinmoss ram 2.5cl and a 450 watt twin fan psu but a standard cooler for up to xp3000 i think.
    Only problem may be my m/board is the earlier version and not version 2.

What do ya think?

regds kieran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Got into the bios, leave the mulitiplyer, up the FSB to about 190 / 195 this will be just under the 3200+ very standard over clock for the 2500+. If you are having stablity issues up the CPU voltage by .1 or 2 volts this should sort it out. Make sure you temps are OK before using the OC settings.

Set the RAM to run the same speed as the FSB.

Thats it,

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

here ya go lad check this out

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138583&highlight=overclocking+guide

this should get you up and running.

just a couple of additional comments specific to your setup. is the twinmos ram pc3200 or pc2700, the former is capable of doing 200mhz while the latter 166mhz you overclock will be less likely to be ram limited if you have pc3200 ram.

with regards to the earlier version of the motherboard iirc correctly there where some issues with being able to hit 200mhz fsb (which is the typical overclock people go for with bartons i.e. 200*11), which may have been fixed in the latter revision, however see how the overclock goes and check out the bios updates see if that helps.

also you may come across temperature issues if you are just using the standard cooling. with overclocking i try to keep the temp under 50c but many people are happy with 60c so its up to yourself.

that thread there though does recommend some cooling solutions if this is an issue, check out the one by coolermaster the aero lite i think it is its only in the region of 20euro or so on komplett.

also would i be correct in assuming you have a multi unlocked barton as you have the older nf7-s board also? if so you can mess with your multi also so even if you pc2700 ram and you can't hit a high fsb, you may be able to lash up a the multi a bit

good luck

data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

Hi lads,i tried it on 3200 but wouldnt boot into windows nor would 190*11 with memory set at 380 on auto.What is the purpose for cpu interface as i cant find my book?
    My memory is 3200 and i put voltage to 1.7v to help it.
    On 190*11 it stopped at welcome screen.
    I suppose all ican do is keep dropping fsb?

regds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

no first thing you should try to do is increase the voltage running through your ram, try putting the vdimm up to 2.7 or 2.8 and see if it gives increased stability the memory might be rated for those timings but see what vdimm they used

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hello Kieran :)

A few points to clear up things:
    Originally posted by kmb
    My memory is 3200 and i put voltage to 1.7v to help it.

Your memory is 3200 as you state and runs at it's default speed of 200FSB. You will not need to up the vdimm to achieve this (BTW I presume you mean 2.7v, not 1.7v)
    Originally posted by Dataisgod
    no first thing you should try to do is increase the voltage running through your ram, try putting the vdimm up to 2.7 or 2.8 and see if it gives increased stability the memory might be rated for those timings but see what vdimm they used

No point in doing this I'm afraid as stated above
    Originally posted by kmb
    Hi lads,i tried it on 3200 but wouldnt boot into windows nor would 190*11

Not a chance that would work on air - sorry m8 if I'm the bearer of bad news :(
    Originally posted by joePC
    Got into the bios, leave the mulitiplyer, up the FSB to about 190 / 195 this will be just under the 3200+ very standard over clock for the 2500+

Up the core voltage might give some relief, but still not a chance of even getting anywhere near 190 on air I'm afraid
    Originally posted by kmb
    Only problem may be my m/board is the earlier version and not version 2

This is it m8, sell your mobo, get a revision 2 and enjoy 200*11 or even more :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement