Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A neighbours pc(question about win 2k and me)

Options
  • 09-04-2004 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

He's got windows me and it seems pretty messed up and he wants windows 2000 on it. I can't remember the actaul chip spec it was running on but i know it had 64 ram and was and amd chip. I was surprised that windows me would run as decent as it did on it but now i'm wondering will windows 2000 run on it half way considering windows me seemed fine.

Sincerely

Scatter brained ron

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/tips/win2k/windows_2000_professional.htm

theres the minimum specs for windows 2k. so it should run alright on his system if it can handle ME.

from personal experience when i switched from ME to 2k i noticed my computer slowed down it was a p3 850 and i can't recall how much ram was in it at the time as i changed from 64 to 320 to 512, but i reckon it was either 320 to 512. however i thought my computer was fine going from ME to XP which is a bit of ram hog so it could have been some other issue.

data

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Thanks and it's kinda disconcerting seeing you outside of the star trek forum, OH OI NONE OF THIS BUSINESS MARLARKY SHALL I HAVE BACK I SAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

ah you'll get over it eventually, some times i crawl out of the hole the light burns though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget he will need a full license - and unless there is a good reason to upgrade it is not worth spending that much on a low spec PC (based on that only has 64MB.)
    He can't use OEM - unless the PC shipped with it, seeing as how ME is on it I think that's a little unlikley

If he has a winmodem or other hardware not on the HCL drivers could be a problem (unlikley but Sod's law)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

With those specs, especially is he's at the 64Mb limit, it's not worth putting 2K onto it. It'll be dog slow and very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, even with 128MB win2k is still a bit slow. Still though, I'd prefer it to WinME.

Advertisement