Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP access from UCD Computer Rooms

Options
  • 09-04-2004 9:46pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

/me has noticed that FTP access from UCD's computer rooms to anywhere except the FTP server on Netsoc no longer seems to work. Anybody shed any light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Do you mean inside the ucd network or going from the ucd network to the outside world?

whats in as ftp proxy in ur browser?

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

No longer in UCD, but a friend there says that FTP is blocked. Email the support people to find out why. There is no reason for it to be blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Everything but HTTP and HTTPS traffic to external sources is blocked at the proxies. If you SSH into the netsoc server, you should be able then to FTP to anywhere.

As was said before, a lot of network services have been clamped down on by HEANet due to pressure from IRMA et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah there's no FTP at all, at all!
    Set my one up at home and couldn't get to it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

now that you mention IRMA - just remember that every time you legally buy a CD you're putting more money into IRMA's coffers :(

i wish someone would close them down :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 8080

Computing services, more than IRMA, weren't happy with what people were using FTP for

was In lg3 the other day and had a bit of a brainwave, I set up dyndns for My FTP server(instead of setting one up for my pc in general and using the ftp prefix), and managed to log into it no problem! No it worked on pc and not a few others, but i think this is more a fault with iexplorer being shit and not the dns resolver.

does it work for you?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

8080, now would this possibly relate to the fact that you could play with a big white machine in the computer room with it?

those big white machines were clse clamped down on ! but there is still a way to do it, but its a tad evasive!

and my ftp (through dyndns/webhop) is workin ok from the mac room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by seamus
    As was said before, a lot of network services have been clamped down on by HEANet due to pressure from IRMA et al.

Spekaing of clampdowns...

Just back from the US and using the library as an Alumni and Just logged onto network and noticed that most of the PCs are now using Win2k and theres no Admin rights to install any software or proggies.

Is there any way around this??

I mean having to use purely IE for web surfing is just pants :(

• Advertisement

well if the app's dont' need special dll's in widows etc. you could proble run them from a usb pen-drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

True could do that but I'd prefer to install it on the c drive.

Any ideas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 8080

Originally posted by 80project
    theres no Admin rights to install any software or proggies.

Is there any way around this??

I mean having to use purely IE for web surfing is just pants :(

I have opera, putty, filezilla and edit plus running on fine on win2000 machines, off my h:\ drive. I did install them a few months back using a win98 machine, maybe you should try that

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

But the h: drive space is pathetically small... even despite the fact I had mine extended when I was in 1st year... I'm using 71MB on mine!

well i found a username and password for an admin on official paper on path in belfield so i'm happy ! 60gb space! nice

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*shakes fist*

Advertisement