Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

antz

• 10-04-2004 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

does anyone know where i can get an ant farm?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

there is a store in the blanchardstown shopping center. i think its called "formative fun" they do all the "classroom toys" like sea monkeys and ant farms :)

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

what's a sea monkey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

sea monkeys are a form of Shrimp/Brine that live for millions of years in eggs if they are left alone. throw them in some clean water and feed them occasionally and the come alive and live for about a year. very clean and are a great pet to start off with for young children.

they do feck all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

My next door neighbour! thats where you can get them! every easter time they come in there thousands to try eat my easter eggs! Why oh WHY would you want to keep them!

But just so this isnt a pointless post ... Does anyone know if them electric things work, the ones that give out the high pitched sound? And where to buy them?

in previous years ive used the nipon gel thing but its getting hard to find

any other tips on how to kill the feckers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

they work, but mainly for mice and rodents. Insects can adapt after a while.

your best bet are ant traps, which are basically a sheet of really sticky stuff inside a box with somthing sweet in the center. Placement is the key ;)
    The nippon products work, albiet badly imho, all these things want ur repeat custom, why would they make a product that wipes out the problem 100%? thats bad for buisness ;)

Go to B&Q, in liffey valley, they have muchos insect traps.

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DAMN THEM ANTS!!!! we get them every year in our kitchen and the ultrasonic plug in thing we got for €50 in Roches didnt do anything at all - unless we were meant to crush them with it!! :p Nothing we got here worked on them but we get these bait traps online - they're called Maxforce bait stations. The station is a little square with a chamber in the middle that has a blob of bait - the ants can get in/out from the 4 corners. You jst have to remember to change the stations once the bait runs out or the lovlies will start looking elsewhere for their food...like the counter..or the fruit basket or the juicer..or the blender....or the press with the cake/sweetie-jar....is any1 else getting itchy?! :rolleyes:

the stuf u talk of is that like the nipon, where the ants eat some and then go JASUS my queen would go mad for a bit of that, then bring it back and lash it into her and then she dies? THe way your discribing it is like its a food for them, and you do a deal... i feed you this stuff and you stay away from my food? but it doesnt kill them?

Yeah its meant to kill them - they think its delish and bring it back to all the others for a party and then they all start to die and u see them carrying their dead mates!! The only prob is that they dont seem to like the bait anymore - this is the third year we've been using it and after abt 3 weeks of seeing none they came back at the weekend! :mad: Maybe we'll try something else - Nipon never worked thou btw...
    Paul I'm not sure if you can do deals with ants - they're too crafty i think! :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

i hate ants they are all over me larder in jam and ketchup threw most of it away those nipon things are good the chemical in the middle kills them i also have 3 plug in utrasonic zapper things do **** all thow thew seem to come out out night in droves to forige

just checking on the net for nipon but came across this...

Insecticides: There are two ways to kill ants. The first is to dehydrate them by laying out piles of instant grits ( a corn product usually located in the cereal section of the grocery store) at the point of entry and along their trail. They will think of the grits as a food source and consume the pellets. The grits will in turn absorb moisture from the ant's body, thus killing it (instant grits are specially formulated to absorb water more rapidly than regular grits, thus they are more effective).

The second method to kill ants is to feed them a mixture of 1 part active dry yeast, 2 parts molasses, and 1 part sugar. They will be attracted to the sugar in the mixture and will eat it readily. Once consumed the yeast will produce gas in the ant, and because they can't expel the gas, it will kill them.

.... haha ants cant fart thats a HORRIBLE way to die i dont think i hate them that much :)

• Advertisement

if you dont hate them enough to kill them by their own farts you mustn't have them in ur house!!! DAMN THEM ALL - this sounds like a great way to kill them!!! :p:p

Advertisement