Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master and Commander not working

Options
  • 10-04-2004 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Strange one this.

I bought Master and Commander the other day.
    The trailers and everthing work perfectly, without a hitch.
    Once the main menu loads, the sound becomes intermittent with static breaking through, and the picture pixellated and it stop-starts constantly as if the disc is damaged. The movie itself is the same. Unwatchable.
    That's on my Sony DAV-S880/Sony Wega FX66 32-inch.

My 150 euro Sony dvd player plays it perfectly. No problems.
    Both have been made region free with the engineers menu. (using a palm PDA)

Only thing is I now have to settle for plain old stereo surround on my crap tv, as opposed to DTS or 5.1 on my main rig.

Any suggestions at all would be great. I think sending it back will only get me a disc with the same problems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

What region is the disk you bought?

Perhaps the Hacked dvd drive just doesn't like it.... Maybe a problem with decoding the 5.1.... who knows?!

John

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Send it back. But chances are the replacement will do the same thing.
    It happens to me with my anaconda dvd.
    Plays on the PS2, plays on the Phillips dvd player and the other dvd player but refuses to play on my samsung dvd drive.
    It does the same as the problem you described.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

cheers for the opinion lads. Its a Region 2 disc.

Problem is that my DAV-S880 is an integrated system so i cant figure how to get DTS or DD 5.1 out of it using another DVD player.

Its really killing me. The film has great sound.
    No other film I have does this. Could it be a new Region control measure?

My only other theory is that my system doesnt have a tray loader, but instead a slot that the disc is fed into mechanically. The disc might be thicker than most...(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

have you tried the most obvious (and most overlooked) option, a lens cleaner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Assuming you have a PC with DVD record, rip the movie file onto a DVD+R and it will work fine. YOur error has to do with balance of the purchased DVD. If the hole is more than 1/10 of a mm off, you will get these problems with some players..

• Advertisement
Advertisement