Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid "will stand among the best world teams in the next ten years''

• 10-04-2004 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Valdano: ‘’We will stand among the best world teams in the next ten years’’

07/04/2004
    After the defeat it is now time for self-assessment. Right here on Realmadrid.com and Realmadrid Television, Jorge Valdano has voiced his feelings after the elimination from the European tournament. He states that the club's president sent a supportive message to the players, because "now it is a time for union, as these are the men that have given us seven titles over the past three years". The lesson that should be learnt, according to Valdano, is that one must keep the same concentration in every single game (fans should also understand this). He considers that his defeat will not mean any change in the Club's sporting plan, which is still a good one. "Real is going to stand among the best world teams for the next ten years". Now it is time to focus on the Liga and the next rivals, all of them.

-What is the assessment to be made after the painful defeat in Monaco?

-This defeat is still distressing all of us, so it is not the best moment to make a good assessment. No doubt that it has been a big frustration, one of these shocks that make you reflect on things and draw some conclusions. The assessment of your mistakes is always very useful in the future. One learns a lot from frustration, and this is one of the most significant ones we have had in the past four years.

-The president and yourself went to the locker room after the game. Which was the message given to the players?

-Above all, it is time for union. It was a supportive message. These are the very same players that have given us seven trophies over the past three years, so we must rely on them both as footballers and men. This is why the President did something exceptional, to go down to the locker room to show his support and sympathy.

-A win against Bayern, a defeat against Monaco, how come?

-We are a team that face the top games with a highest level of concentration, that's part of the assessment. It happens both to our players and to the fans, as the latter also face the Bayern game with a frame of mind completely different from the outlook on the Monaco showdown. This can be very dangerous and risky in the end. Our two big frustrations this seasons were Zaragoza and Monaco. Both of these matches were very important and the general feeling about them was that the win was a must. Well, now we have to learn that we must play every game with the same attitude, that is, with the highest concentration and awareness.

-Awareness and less tiredness.

-There is a good example to explain that. Figo played for 90 minutes with Portugal six days ago, 90 more against Albacete three days back and 90 in Monaco, which means three matches in six days in three different cities, none of which was Madrid. This is extremely strenuous for all the players plus it makes it very difficult to motivate them for each tournament, the motivation should keep up with the importance of a competition such as the Champions League.

-Which are going to the consequences in the club's sporting plan?

-The defeat will harldy change our sporting plan. We must remember this plan has made us a better football team, as well as a better club with better financial conditions. Our club is very healthy now and despite the unpleasant and anguished time we are having today, we will state that we are going to stand among the best football teams in the world over the next ten years. We are building up a Club rather than a team. 20 players have left, then we have had some reserve players that are now training and progressing, so it is very soon to demand much of them. There is the proof that our future is not a cause for concern. We can make changes, as there are a lot of options to draw on, both in terms of financing and in terms of reserves. The team is open to many changes without having to sell desperately, like in the past few years.

-Time for the Liga now.

-Now it is time to think about the Liga, this is Real Madrid. The wound must heal very soon so that we can put all our energy and hopes in this trophy. The advantage now is that we will be playing only a match per week. The sooner we get over the disappointment, the better, in terms of our attitude to face the challenges ahead of us. Some of them are very important, as we are to play Barcelona, Atlético, Deportivo… But then I should be mentioning other teams too because these are the most dangerous ones in the end.

Report: Javier Palomino
    Photos: Ángel Martínez

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

A URL would have done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Unexpected

Do you want to cry a river about anything else therecklessone?:rolleyes:

Some/Most people at work cant access football sites.

Cheers for the info thesecret7. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Interesting article but it does not address the problems at Real. It blames tiredness and lack of urgency for their defeat when in fact their defence is not what it should be. To play football the Ardiles way at the highest level is not going to be successful.
    The teams with quality Defenders and quick attackers find these tactics easy to counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭halkar

I think they need to change the team too. In few years they will turn into geriatrics team if they go like this :D

Originally posted by Unexpected
    Do you want to cry a river about anything else therecklessone?:rolleyes:

Some/Most people at work cant access football sites.

Cheers for the info thesecret7. :)

Oooh, hark at her...;)

Hows this for crying you a river? The Muppet is right, Real defend like Ardiles-era Spurs, or Keegan-era Newcastle. They want to blame poor concentration and awareness? Grand, as long as they accept that starts with a poor recruitment policy that failed to recognise the teams weaknesses and address them. Instead they bought Beckham. Good choice lads, but were all those jersey sales really worth it now your out of the CL?

Morientes, my new hero...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

where is that from??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sayireland

Real Madrid "will stand among the best world teams in the next ten years’’??????

On what basis can you or Jorge Valdano say this?

Wasn't it his Tenerife team that beat Madrid two seasons in a row on the last day to hand the Spanish title to Barca?

Also let's not forget that for years Real Madrid had no success and no money. Sure they did have a fabulous team in the sixties but so did Man U, they just happened to be in heaven and had they been on earth they would have given Madrid a good fight.

In the eighties and nineties under the presidency of Ramon Mendoza the club were very badly strapped for cash, unbelievable for a club so famous and with so many possible markets to exploit.

This situation has recently changed due to a little good financial administration but as well as a lot of 'help!!!' from the local Madrid conservative council (Real Madrid has always been the team of the establishment in Spain and were always seen to be given special appreciation by Franco) who have allowed their training ground, almost right in the centre (well to the north a little) to be sold for development.

This of course acted as security for the money needed to buy the big players and the percentage Ronaldo's jerseys for example went a long way to pay his fee. Its only now that Madrid are actually beginning to exploit their possibilities in marketing terms.

Nevertheless it is fair to say that the Bernabeau is often a graveyard in terms of atmosphere and if the team are not playing like gods then things change very quickly to hostility. This was evident tonight when more than half the stadium had left by the time the final whiste against Osasuna had been blown. Atletico, Betis, Sevilla, Bilbao all have support bases which would put the people who have the priviledge of watching 'los galacticos' to shame. The club and its fans give the sensation that the team deserves to win games, cups and championships because of its name.

A great club is not made of great players alone and in this sense Real Madrid leaves a lot to be desired. The club will never come close to matching the humility and humanity of some like Zidane.

Don't believe the hype.

PS - yes I have been to the Bernabeu a few times and (I suppose no surprise really) I am a season ticket holder for the real Madrid team, Atletico.

'Forza Atleti'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I just love the fact that Valencia have gone top of the league tonight after Real lost 3-0 to Osasuna.
    The sooner we get over the disappointment, the better, in terms of our attitude to face the challenges ahead of us. Some of them are very important, as we are to play Barcelona, Atlético, Deportivo… But then I should be mentioning other teams too because these are the most dangerous ones in the end.

Damn straight.

Originally posted by Makaveli
    I just love the fact that Valencia have gone top of the league tonight after Real lost 3-0 to Osasuna.

Ahahahahahahaha

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thesecret7

A URL would have done...

why have you clicked on this threads? if you have no intention of wanting to read the destiny of Real.

Any side can beat Real. But they have to score more goals, but they play the best futball.
    Do not worry, Real have enough quailities in the side to bounch back and still win la liga.
    Mr beckham was bought for his shirt selling abilities rather than his "world class" playing abilities.

Dont be so synsiacal and admit that they are teh bestest team in the world

• Advertisement

yea they are the bestest team in the world:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

what was that 3-0! at home and they didnt even score!?

:)

Originally posted by thesecret7

The bestest bestest team? I'd rather not.

I read this thread because I thought you might have had something of note to say, rather than just reposting an article from some Real website.

Anyway, glad to see you grasp the basics of football, i.e. you'll always win a match if you score more goals.

Best team in European football (and by extension the world)? AC Milan. And that pains me to say, since I have a soft spot for Juventus. Milan have managed to balance sublime attaking play with an authoritive defence and disciplined passing from their midfield. Their 4-0 defeat against Depor does not make them a bad team (no more than Real losing to Monaco does ;) ) Maybe when Real realise they have a goal to defend and actually buy someone to perform said function they'll rank among the best in the world. I won't hold my breath...

Thanks for the entertainment my secretive friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thesecret7

vai tomar a cui
    filo da puta

Originally posted by thesecret7
    vai tomar a cui
    filo da puta

Insults, yeah?

If you want to remain on here spouting nonsense about your beloved Real I suggest you learn to discuss with resorting to insults. Considering the recent crackdown on muppetry in the soccer forum you'll do well to heed my advice.

isnt that a banning offense!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheC0CK

jank = Troublemaker.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

that's a bit rich coming from you ronaldo7

??? THECOCK does it again!? :rolleyes:

get over yourself by the way

therecklessone and thesecret7 were having a go at each other yet im the trouble maker here,
    seems u have a grudge against me cock and your only here since march
    :rolleyes:

by the way thesecret7 said something along the lines of "take the edge of a prostitute" if that makes sense?
    (my spanish isnt great :) )

Advertisement