Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC live Broadband article

• 10-04-2004 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭

I dunno whether this is the right place for this or if its more suited to Irelandoffline but here goes

I was reading through Pc live magazine this month and it had a very interesting article on the differing broadband prices and whose providing the services etc

2 things it did mention and its probabaly just rubbish but i thought id bring it up here to see if anyone has more info on this maybe muck et al

anyhoo

1) It said in the article that if you lines failing or if you have a problem with it passing for DSL, you could face a bill upto 120 euro to get the line BB ready, now am i right in thinking this is just hooking up the unused pair or is this something new

and

2) this is pretty confusing, it said that NTL broadband was available in certain spots of waterford and killkenny but through other providers, anyone know anything about this or is this just hype as well

Shin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by shinzon
    I dunno whether this is the right place for this or if its more suited to Irelandoffline but here goes

I was reading through Pc live magazine this month and it had a very interesting article on the differing broadband prices and whose providing the services etc

2) this is pretty confusing, it said that NTL broadband was available in certain spots of waterford and killkenny but through other providers, anyone know anything about this or is this just hype as well

Shin

NTL have no cable franchise in Kilkenny and there is no
    cable modem availible anywhere outside parts of Dublin.

PC Live is best used for lining the budgies cage with!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Actually mike, Chorus offer a cable modem service in Kilkenny city.
    I've heard rumours of some kind of cable service in Dungarvan too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I believe there is also cable-modem BB in Longford (a local provider) and Waterford city too. I've not heard of anywhere else though. At least not yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Stephen
    Actually mike, Chorus offer a cable modem service in Kilkenny city.

Thats true but they're NOT NTL!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bountydublin

"It said in the article that if you lines failing or if you have a problem with it passing for DSL, you could face a bill upto 120 euro to get the line BB ready, now am i right in thinking this is just hooking up the unused pair or is this something new"

I don't understand all...
    Someone can explain to me? I believe that it is very interesting for me !:(
    thankx
    bounty:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Installing a completely new line is €120 or so, thats what the gob****e journalist failed to make clear. Its up to the engineer to make sure it is a clean pair to the exchange.

Make sure you are there in person to talk to the engineer on the day otherwise it is a waste of €120.Tell Biddy you want it for ADSL when you order it and make her put a note on the database for the engineer.

Fixing you existing line is a cool idea in a developed country, in my opinion anyway.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

the cable in longford rocks.1mb line and i can tell eircom to go whistle now.talking to the installer today and he says there gonna up it to a 5 mb line later this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

PC Live! Article
    Eircom only guarantees to deliver a dial tone and not a particular level of service so you could face having to upgrade your line for €120 if there's a problem.

Also noticed this in the article :D
    PC Live! Article
    While all the broadband users interviewed for this piece were pleased [...] A quick survey of Internet discussion forums such as those on Boards.ie shows that all the services get complaints from time to time.

Time to time!? 99% of the time methinks :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Stephen

well its a bit more than a rumor http://www.cablesurf.com/
    i know a guy that has it , its a very good service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Unexpected

Pc Live is an absolute shambles of a magazine. Pc Pro is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i dont realy see the point of these magazines when all the info they give is avilable on the net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Unexpected
    Pc Live is an absolute shambles of a magazine. Pc Pro is the way to go.
    Kinda makes you long for the high quality reporting of DotIE magazine. ;) Does that magazine even exist now?

NTL was supposed to bring in cable modem access but years of underinvestment by the parasites in Telecom Eireann/Eircom reduced the Cablelink network quality. NTL bought the thing at the height of the market and got screwed.

Cablesurf in Dungarvan is an entirely separate operation to NTL and it has competently been offering internet access to a town for years. NTL has been offering internet access to a few Dublin streets for years. NTL Dublin is just not in the same league as the Waterford company. :) I remember talking to some cable industry people about the Waterford situation a few years ago and they said that there was significant investments made in the NTL nets outside of Dublin. (Waterford has a fibre backbone as do some of the other non Dublin NTL nets.) While it would not be difficult for the nets outside of Dublin to implement a cable internet solution, the big problem would be the internet backbone and connectivity. Eircom, Esat, UTVinternet and the other big players would make it difficult for NTL management to justify getting into internet access now. (They had an uncontested shot at it in 1998 but lost it.) The market has moved on and NTL is probably more committed to implementing digital television. Then it may consider internet access in Ireland.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

pc live imo has grown from bad to worse . i used to buy it just cause its irish . and back in the hay day it was brillent . well i thought it was brillent .

rush forward 8 years r so and you onto pc live today nothing but adds and support for crap companies that want to rip you off . i wish they would just give pure honest opinions . ive always felt the need to write in complaining that they lost everything that they started off with . but never bothered due to the fact that im almost sure they would do nothing about it .

latly they stop'd putting the cd's onto the mag and if u want the cd u must txt a number to get it .

so thats a load of bollix . its such a money hungry mag its unreal . if i wanted a mag that show'd me good stuff to spend my hard earned cash on id get stuff they at liest know what you would like to have .

btw i read maximum pc extreem pc and linux format . mostly for modding / tweaking and honest articles and the fact im hoping to gain some linux knowledge

if anyone in pc live is reading this id like to hope they pay particular attention to everything in bold

when they removed the disc from the magazine the price dropped from €5 to €2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

the only reason i had the magazine was that they were giving away free copies of it in PCWORLD

Says it all really i suppose

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    when they removed the disc from the magazine the price dropped from €5 to €2...

no it was 2 euros b4 surly .. im almost sure it was ...

Originally posted by elexes
    no it was 2 euros b4 surly .. im almost sure it was ...

went for a look in the attic for some old coppies:

May 2001: IR£2.95 / €3.75
    Dec 01/Jan 02: IR£3.85 / €4.89
    May 2003: €4.95
    April 2004: €2

I remember seeing the first issue without a disc, I noticed the price first. I never liked the disc they gave, there was nothing really good ever on them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by tuxx
    well its a bit more than a rumor http://www.cablesurf.com/
    i know a guy that has it , its a very good service

Yes it offers upto 4MB apparently
    I heard something lately about it coming to Waterford city.

As for NTL in Waterford, they do offer Cab;e TV but sadly no cable internet....more is the pity :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by tuxx
    i dont realy see the point of these magazines when all the info they give is avilable on the net

Agreed, I ain't got a PC mag in ages
    actually I got one while I was staying in the UK but only cause I was stuck in a hotel without net access :(
    Other then that its been years :D

Advertisement