Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

st anne's rezoning

• 10-04-2004 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

posted this on indymedia, http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=64007

but moved here just to have a dicussion on it....

in particularily wanna know in what ways people have been sucessful before in opposing things like this....?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

This rezoning idea is just disgraceful imo, god damn Bertie Ahern, the chap is a gangster bottom line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭eoin@host.ie

Originally posted by chewy
    posted this on indymedia, http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=64007

but moved here just to have a dicussion on it....

in particularily wanna know in what ways people have been sucessful before in opposing things like this....?

The most successful campaigns I've seen have centred around intensive lobbying of local elected representatives(but all councillors that might vote on the issue should be lobbied).

Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

right fair enough but sorta got the impression that these days the un-elected county manager made the decision....

can you and the councillors still put pressure on him

they tried with the trees and oconnell street afaik and it didn't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭eoin@host.ie

right fair enough but sorta got the impression that these days the un-elected county manager made the decision....

can you and the councillors still put pressure on him

they tried with the trees and oconnell street afaik and it didn't work

I don't know the exact facts about the St. Anne's issue(and it's out of my geographical area) so I can't comment meaningfully on it.

However I agree with your first assertion, the manager has got most of the power and is rapidly getting any remaining powers(for example he/she now has the power to set the bin charges which was formerly the reserve of the councillors). The erosion of councillor's powers is one of the reasons I am not standing at the next elections to be honest.

There are a couple in your question:

1. Rezoning etc: This is a reserved function typically(ie one the councillors can only exercise) except if the manager decides it is a material contravention of the Development Plan(which again has to be brought before the member's). What often happens though is that councillors are presented with impossible decisions(ie if you don't do this the way we are proposing it to you there are possible legal remifications for you/for the council).

2. O'Connell Street: Again it's not my bailewick but what often happens is that detailed plans for projects such as this are brought before councillors as an item at a 2 hours meeting in which there are possibly 15 to 20 other items on the agenda. Following a brief presnetation it is agreed to put it out to public consultation and a report on this is done. However what often happens is that the reality of the fine detail of such a plan only becomes obvious when the project starts.

Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

all councillors voted against the proposal on 5th april

a rare event im told....

county manger continues to ignore commensense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

county manger continues to ignore commensense

That is usually because they don't think of themselves as common....(and that was not said as a joke)

Advertisement