Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

madonna/slane objections

• 10-04-2004 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/10/madonna.ireland.reut/index.html

it's made cnn, but the thing that jumped out at and i think it was talked about recently on another thread.. was

But Joe Deegan, Slane's parish priest, said the decision was insensitive in a country where 90 percent of the population is Roman Catholic.

is that true? damn i look at the cso and it seems to be...

anyway it seems to me the these people object to everything

i remember someone quoted as saying "we're like prisoners in our own homes"

and it true from going to slane once i remember that the put up fences leanging against the garden walls of peoples houses to provent people from wandering into there gardens...

but basically my point is that it only ever happens once a year with disruption for maybe a week or two can they not handle that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

They can, and have, for many years. But part of their agreement is that the gigs happen on a Saturday. And given that the event completely takes over the town for the entire day, that seems fair enough.

Thats the first time i've heard the Christian argument raised... I don't feel it's a valid one, any more than Madonna's religious beliefs are valid in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

id object if i lived there, sunday day or rest and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

but slane doesn't just happen on one there
    sure it'll be quite busy the days after and the days before...... set up take down etc

it seems silly to object to specific day it is happening on seeing as it a more teh none day thing

i think it'll be hard for them to get it to go on sunday becasue of The "bob dylan clause"
    but to me they won that concession on the basis of some drunk idiots who didn't care it was a sunday when they went on a rampage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Isn't the logic that the gig causes noise late at night, and that people (children and adults) have to be up on Monday morning? The noise of a concert in action, and of 80,000 people leaving that concert is much worse than that of a concert being set up by a limited amount of workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

but again i say one day of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

The last time Slane Castle hosted a major concert on a Sunday -- in 1984 when Bob Dylan played -- it sparked riots.

Did that actually happen?? Go on, tell the story...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

fact is the gig is held on a saturday... has been for years... screw madonna if she cant play it on a saturday... fact is if i lived there i wouldnt want it played on a sunday for reasons such as.. gotta go to work on monday morning and the aftermath of that gig is well worse than the build up

just because a small minorty rioted at the bob dylan concert and the coincidence that it was held on a sunday doesnt really effect the madonna gig

1. madonna is gonna be cack
    2. so are all the support acts
    3. i support slane village in their attempt to disallow the gig, mainly because its their right to do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

the religious thing i think is because she originally refused to play on her sabbath, but its fine to play on ours!

not religious and dont care myself, thats just their argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

the residents want to be able to go to mass on sunday, although the gates dont open till 2 and mass is at eleven alot of disruption will be caused with people needing residents passes to get anywhere near the church, also alot of people travel from outside to the mass and it would be a massive pain in the áss gettin there for them.

Advertisement