Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Compilation Cds

Options
  • 10-04-2004 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

Budget Compilation Cds

I often see these is shops. They seem very good value. They are often "Best Ofs" by a particuler band.

But very often - they are missing a major hit.

I know a guy - who bought a cd of a well known ska band stating that it was a "Best OF" - but their major hit was not included.

I have seen this with other artiests.

But there is good cds to be got in budget and mid priced music - but buyer beware!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

In most cases, the biggest hit isn't good enough to make it onto a "best of"...

...imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Wasn't Madness by any chance? Have seen some pretty dodgy looking best-ofs such as theirs done by a company called 'Disky' and on sale for about €5. Inlay cards look like they've been produced by a colour photocopier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

No - Madness have many budget compliations out.

Many budget compilations are great. They often are a great introduction to a band at a reasonable cost.

I think the band were called the Specials and I think "Ghost town" was missing. I am not 100% sure.

But "Disky" have often great cds at low prices.

I bought a good 3cd disky set low less than a £10 a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cork
    I think the band were called the Specials and I think "Ghost town" was missing. I am not 100% sure.
    You are now
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews45707.html

Sometimes it's cheaper for the budget label not to buy the rights to the big hit. Sometimes the big hit was on a different label to the rest of the material and they can't get the rights (often if the song was recorded for a movie). Can't have a Specials best of without "Ghost Town" though. Er, except for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The specials were known as The Special AKA as well and had a number of hits under that name "Free Nelson Mandela" springs to mind for some reason. As far as I can remember there was some sort of falling out and they may not have the rights to Ghost town which I agree is a class song and should be on the greatest hits album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yeah, I have that Specials comp too. Not having Ghost town sucks the big one.

I think possibly a label (or whoever owns the copyright) might use it to encourage you to buy more from their back catalogue. You don't get the hit but you think a couple of other tunes are OK so you buy the album with the hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

very often if a band get dropped by their label and then go on to make it big elsewhere their original record company will release a greatest hits or whatever to capitalise on renewed interest in a band.

budget cd compilations are a blessing in dance music anyway... most of the tunes i'd be into only ever come out on vinyl [which is cool - i buy truckloads of the stuff] but you also increasingly see labels putting out a mix cd of their last 15 or so releases for a fixed low price, like a fiver or so. some put movie trailers and games ads on the cds as enhanced content cds or whatever and finance the cd that way [moving shadow do this - 2.99 for a cd every six months or so]. this is cool, cause if i didnt buy vinyl i would get very frustrated trying to track down tunes i liked, especially since the top 5 or 6 drum and bass dj's play fairly similar styles to each other. there is another side to those budget compilations though... those 6 cd box sets you see in hmv for like €12 euros always have twoo tunes on each cd that are good and that are by recognisable names, and the rest are all really really dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Dearg Doom

Some of the Disky compilations are good value for money and have original versions of the artists songs which can't be too bad . Its the really cheap compilation albums that contain the small print that goes something like , to achieve the best quality some of these tracks have been re-recorded by one or more of the original band members/singers, or they might have really poor live versions which are usually a waste of time . Now these are the ones to avoid like the plague.

Advertisement