Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firewall prob

• 10-04-2004 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

hey,

does anybody use a firewall called ipcop with their eircom bb connection. I'm having some trouble getting the red network to work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I use Smoothwall with Clicksilver, so I might be able to help. Can you describe your set up in a bit more detail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 flats

i have an eircom bb connection via the netopia modem.
    my firewall box is connected to the modem.
    my other devices should connect to the internet through the firewall, but i cannot get them to view the outside world.
    Have you an idea of the default gateway and dns address for the different devices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

you probably have to open ports and set up the NAT. And since i don't own a router, i can't help ya with that. Read the manual :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by flats
    i have an eircom bb connection via the netopia modem.
    my firewall box is connected to the modem.
    my other devices should connect to the internet through the firewall, but i cannot get them to view the outside world.
    Have you an idea of the default gateway and dns address for the different devices?
    The default gateway should be the address of your "firewall box". The DNS address should probably also be the address of your firewall, or, if it's not handling that function itself, whatever address it's using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Gateway and DNS as Ripwave says.

Re my earlier post, IPCop is a code fork from Smoothwall, so there are a lot of similarities. My client machines get all this info from Smoothwall via DHCP, so there is no need to set it manually. Do you have internet connectivity from the firewall e.g. can you ping www.boards.ie from a command line?

• Advertisement
Advertisement