Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum - Please dont close it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Eh is this not just getting a little too serious.

I can sort of understand DeVore's desire to keep the whole of boards community in shape as its basically his own little private business. In order to attract business you need money and it seems the main source of money comes from advertising. If there is random members of boards acting out of hand, it reflects badly on boards.ie thus having a negative effect on advertising revenue... Thats the only reason I can think off why ye are making such a concerted effort to control the soccer board...

But, in all fairness... Why the sudden decision to close it completely. The posts on the Soccer forum have been the same for the past 6 months, so why act now?

I personally feel that a strict charter is required and anyone who steps out of line is banned immediately. If they return under a different username, ban the IP address permently!! What else can you really do, it is a public forum in the end.

I look forward to whatever solution you do come up with!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

How can you ban the IP address completely? Most people's ISPs randomly assign an IP address when they connect to the internet. Companies may have fixed IP addresses but not most users who post from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I can sort of understand DeVore's desire to keep the whole of boards community in shape as its basically his own little private business. In order to attract business you need money and it seems the main source of money comes from advertising. If there is random members of boards acting out of hand, it reflects badly on boards.ie thus having a negative effect on advertising revenue... Thats the only reason I can think off why ye are making such a concerted effort to control the soccer board...
    As far as I know the advertising doesn't quite cover all the costs of running the boards. In any case with the time they admins put in (and Tom Murphy charges an arm, a leg and a bit of a torso for computery work), if the admins actually worked out how much time they put in they'd be financially better off if they put their effort and cash into something else. Probably fairer to call it the admins' pet project rather than little private business then.

From the posts put in over time by Dev and ecksor (and obviously the other admins - the two are just more visible in recent times), they're much more concerned about the community aspect of the site than actually making money (yeah, I know, sounded odd and slightly Ripley's to me too at first). The more people that display the adverts the more cash boards makes for itself, even if it's muppet cash. To an extent the muppets are subsidising the non-muppets The fact that they're willing to tell the unwanted plonkers to take a short walk tends to demonstrate... well, it's all about the community they're building isn't it?

As for why now? At a guess, I'll offer blood pressure, eventual complete loss of patience and a general boredom and disbelief that some people could be so consistently dumb (edit: and abusive, aye, there's the rub).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The posts on the Soccer forum have been the same for the past 6 months, so why act now?

Perhaps it got to the point of no return?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre

Eh is this not just getting a little too serious.

As boards.ie is a community based site and most of the community have been complaining amount the quality of posts and the, and I hate to use this over used term, the Muppetry that has been going on as late on the Soccer forum, Dev and the Mods (sounds like a band!) have decided that it's not worth the hassle trying to keep everybody in line and that it's time to take action against all the little childers that have decided to make the Soccer Forum their home, and well basically it's Dev's ball and he's decided not to give it back until everybody can play nice!
    But, in all fairness... Why the sudden decision to close it completely. The posts on the Soccer forum have been the same for the past 6 months, so why act now?

Well to use an analogy, a pub hardly closes down just because it has a couple of bad nights, it waits for a while to see how things develop and whether it's a mere blip or an on going trend. And then takes the relevent action.

B.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm always amazed that as often as I try to explain it, I never seem to get this through to people...

I think the only time we have ever gotten anything from Boards was a Thai dinner there last year from the proceeds of the subscribers signups... The advertising (such as it is) covers the hosting costs (and the ungodly bandwidth costs etc etc). If it does that much, we're happy.

Let me break this down for you. We have 3Million impressions. At best a site sells 10% of its impressions and the general charge is about 1 euro per 1000... any higher and you lose customers since we are a community site which means we serve a lot of pages to a relatively small number of people.

So 300 euro is our monetary take IF we are selling a decent chunk of ads a month. Which we're not. Between 5 of us thats 60 quid each, a month. Yeah, 60 quid is really my driving purpose for putting up with abuse etc...
    When was the last time you saw a non-beers non-hosting365 ad on the site anyway?

So why DO we do this? I cant speak for the others but I do it because I enjoy seeing things like the Poker forum form little communities and then friendships and often things take a life of their own after that! I get a buzz out of thinking I've facilitated that. I like the thought of somewhere non-commercially focused where people can shoot the breeze on their personally favourite topics. I like the idea that people like Ireland Offline etc can find a neutral home where they can say what they think. I like the idea that I'm actually effecting change in Irish society even if thats in a microscopic way... But I am not going to build a home for ignorant boll0xes to come and abuse genuine people and lately more and more long time posters were pming me and saying "I just cant post there anymore" and that made me (and I suspect Ecksor and Gandie) very very angry. Its like giving someone a gift and then finding out they used it to unblock a sewer.... makes you kinda sad and angry at the same time.

I dunno, call me weird.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by DeVore
    I dunno, call me weird.

your wierd.

personally i find that the lure of this community far outweights the fact that there are a few muppets abusing what you've given us.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

So why DO we do this? I cant speak for the others but I do it because I enjoy seeing things like the Poker forum form little communities and then friendships and often things take a life of their own after that! I get a buzz out of thinking I've facilitated that.

I like online discussions, communities, any sort of online communication etc. starting with my first experiences with things like grex.org, redbrick.dcu.ie etc. Boards is a slightly different sort of thing of course, but more diverse in the people you get than a unix nerdy thing will attract which is nice in a lot of ways. I have a long term vision for boards that sees it turning into a one stop shop for online community based services in Ireland (or further, who knows). Technology (and the lack of time to develop such technology) is a hindrance right now, but hopefully won't always be. I know the others have other grand ideas and we try to move those along whenever we get the chance.

I also work on and make no money from DMZ along with drjolt (who does most of the work), pooka and Regi. Find out more at http://www.dmz.ie/

This has discussion and chat aspects also, but I also see this as being a place where nerds can learn to program or learn about unix and learn from other nerds amongst other things. It's like grex.org but the management is closer to boards (no smelly democracy). DMZ is kindly hosted by hosting365

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

I'm always amazed that as often as I try to explain it, I never seem to get this through to people...

I'm always amazed at the fact you keep explaining it.

maybe make a sticky? :D

But seriously, How about a boards.ie IQ test on the sign up page?

fail it and there's no boards.ie for you :)

It would bring less clowns as I can't imagine someone like ronaldo7 passing one.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I feel really ****ty now after reading Devore's post. I guess I just didnt look at it in that kind of way. Boards just seemed like another message board. My sincerest apologies for being a goon.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Draupnir
    I feel really ****ty now after reading Devore's post. I guess I just didnt look at it in that kind of way. Boards just seemed like another message board. My sincerest apologies for being a goon.

I'm sure it happens alot when they hear Devore's view on boards....

it's very touching :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I dunno, call me weird.

You're weird! Can I change your username and then we can all call you weird? Maybe we'll get another Thai dinner this year? Woohoo!

John.
    --

Originally posted by Emboss
    it's very touching :p

I feel irritated, I don't know why, but I've just noticed a Ban this user! link beside Emboss' name. Why has it suddenly become more noticeable today?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Cloud
    I feel irritated, I don't know why, but I've just noticed a Ban this user! link beside Emboss' name. Why has it suddenly become more noticeable today?

That's quite strange John, maybe it's because you're way too reasonable. I've been noticing it for weeks now.

Maybe we should form a club, ecksor, care to join? But now that I've noticed you, it appears you have been neglecting your duties in the forum you are moderating, with a measly five posts as opposed to emm's 40. I'm not sure there is a need for two moderators in Rap / Hip-Hop anyway, unless you can stir up some anger in there for a change.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I say we form a club ... and then beat Emboss over the head with it.

Originally posted by ecksor
    I say we form a club ... and then beat Emboss over the head with it.

Alot bigger and better have been badly hurt trying.

Anyway, why? I thnk it is touching, and if more people felt the same about boards as Dev does, this thread wouldn't exist.

*grabs helmet*

Maybe we should form a club, ecksor, care to join? But now that I've noticed you, it appears you have been neglecting your duties in the forum you are moderating, with a measly five posts as opposed to emm's 40. I'm not sure there is a need for two moderators in Rap / Hip-Hop anyway, unless you can stir up some anger in there for a change.

It's not easy making gangsta rappers pop caps ye know....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    Because its the job YOU chose to do. If you can't do it someone else would be more than happy to. The attitude you have taken about opening it again is so stupid, you'd swear that you own boards or something.

Jesus Dev, would you and mindphuck ever **** off back to the cs board.
    :D

Originally posted by Trojan
    That's quite strange John, maybe it's because you're way too reasonable. I've been noticing it for weeks now.

That's funny considering i don't post in any of your forums Troj, or maybe o driscoll is a sore point with you? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

.. or even CAPS LOCKS ye ....

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You're weird! Can I change your username and then we can all call you weird? Maybe we'll get another Thai dinner this year? Woohoo!

John.
    --

No. One Thai dinner every 5 years. And we should be grateful for it too! :p

(oh and leave Emboss alone you big meanies!)

DeV.

ps: I dont think I have ever had the forsight to put such a relevant sig in place before the fact....

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

You don't even post there and Echo does all the modding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Out of his near thousand posts a mear 5 are on the forum he moderates.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=387640&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Why exactly is he modding a forum he has no interest in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Cause sometimes you dont need to be interested in the topics being discussed to be a good moderator (or bad *shrug*)

Not being biased.

Also, Thats the way it is so stop questioning it.

Now wheres my bagel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

can we write about soccer in our journals?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,497 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i enjoy the soccer board i dont post much but i do think the board is rather imatidating but fun.

While i would like to see it back i think only people who have something revelant with soccer to post should be allowded there.

its sadly missed.

i mean its by far the busiest boards in the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

has a date been set yet for the new opening or we just going to wait around for a week more and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

i mean its by far the busiest boards in the place.
    I agree but there was alot of flaming around the forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement