Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sys temp 66, ok?

Options
  • 10-04-2004 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Installed new mobo
    KV7, Xp2400, 512 2700 ram and when it all booted up ,got an error in hardware doctor (more like a siren) saying sys temp too high 66 and should be 60, Sandra also says its to high.
    I bought a new power supply today Jeantech 300w but it only had one connecter for Aux fan1/2 so i only used aux1.

Is this ok?

Kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

that seems high to me

whats the rest of your system setup - CPU cooler, case, PSU, fan, etc - shouldnt go above 50 i think unless under stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Heatsink SPA04b4 Whisperrock IV
    Jeantech 300W PSU
    Other fans are built into Mobo but one is not powered as i dont have connector on PSU for it.

I may switch AuxFan1 power to Auxfan2 to see if temp drops.

Its spanky new and sys temp 67 now!.

Want to install Unreal 2004 but skeered....LOL

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

im no expert but think you need more fans, can you adapt a HD power connector to give power to the fan?

Switched power to Auxfan2 and temp dropping it at 63 now.(Edit 62 now and still dropping)

Will have to modify one of the floppys fan needs 12v so hopefully that will work.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Is the heatsink seated properly? Any chance you used too much paste or something?
    Can you not connect the fans to the mobo fan headers?

• Advertisement

CPU is fine at 55 ,the system is at 60 now and still dropping ,the board has to Auxfans but PSU doesnt have connectors for both ,when installing i used Auxfan1 but temp went to 67 now using Auxfan2 and temp at 60 and still dropping (60 is hardware doctros default alarm state).

So all is well for now thanks for help.

kdjac

Originally posted by KdjaC
    the board has to Auxfans but PSU doesnt have connectors for both
    But can't you connect the fans to the fan1 and fan2 connectors on the mobo? You shouldn't need a direct supply from the PSU.

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/mobos/ABIT_KV7/pg_2.htm

Down the bottom beside PCI cards is 2 fans which need power Aux1 and 2, my PSU does not have req connectors for both so only one can be powered atm.
    I tried aux1 and got 67 temp then aux2 and now getting 60ish.
    All other fans are powered i need to modify the power connectors to power both and get temp below 60.

kdjac

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but why can't you use the fan headers (circled yellow in the picture) to power the fans?

1027.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/mobos/ABIT_KV7/pg_2.htm

Down the bottom beside PCI cards is 2 fans which need power Aux1 and 2, my PSU does not have req connectors for both so only one can be powered atm.
    I tried aux1 and got 67 temp then aux2 and now getting 60ish.
    All other fans are powered i need to modify the power connectors to power both and get temp below 60.

kdjac

Ehm, just in case... The way I read your post you are connecting the PSU connectors to these fan headers? If so don't! These are for connecting your fans directly to the motherboard. If your fans have the really small 3-pin connectors, this is where they go. If the fans have the larger 4-pin molex connectorsm, then they can connect straight to the PSU. It sounds as if your PSU has a small 3-pin connector for fans. This plugs directly into a fan, not the motherboard.

as I said, just in case... :)

• Advertisement

Jeez Adeptus,
    now I'm thinking he's connected the PSU alternately to the 2 fan headers (not fans) too. That could explain the high temps 'cos of the resistance through the board's traces, very dangerous.

EDIT:
    Feck, from re-reading the first post, that's what's happened.

Turn off your PC and disconnect that PSU fan lead now!

Yep, reckon so. If it just results in temps going up, then I'm amazed.

LOL me stares blankly at instruction manual and swears its telling it me to plug PSU into those aux fans, but when i actually think about it, tis a bit crazy as i dont have any extra fans.

It says " These 3-pin connectors require power for the cooling fans in your system, the system is capable of monitoring the speed of the fan"

If it just results in temps going up, then I'm amazed.

It did ran at 67 when powered (LOL) now unpowered at a nice 58.
    Tis a nightmare upgrade it all went too well, worked on 1st boot and now every game i have is buggered ,UT2004 cd3 has a watermark so that crapped out ,BFV giving cyclic redund error and Hardware monitor wants to shut down pc and wake the neighbours every 5 minutes.

Thanks for help would have fried mobo without it :)

For future ref what normal sys temp ?

kdjac

i dont have any extra fans.

For future ref what normal sys temp ?

I'm not sure there is a normal system temp, it all depends on what type of cooling you have. BTW, is the 58 your CPU or Motherboard?

My CPU idles at 33, Mobo at 31, GFX at 50. Ups to CPU at 48, Mobo NB 33 and GFX at 66 under heavy load. And I'm sweating here cos my g/f has the damn heating up full! 26 in the room! :)

I've got one fan at the front (in), one at the side (in), one at the back(out) and then the PSUs fans (out) so good airflow. I don't think I'd be comfortable with my CPU at 58 idle... I assume the fan on the Whisper Rock is running? If so, it could be just pushing warm air around it. I think you should get yourself a couple of fans to drag cool air through your case.

Is your system running stably now?

It says " These 3-pin connectors require power for the cooling fans in your system"
    Stupid manual. It should say "supply" instead of "require" :rolleyes: Is that the Abit manual?
    Anyway, good to see it wasn't fried in the process :)

May need another fan to keep air flow moving, kinda hoped not too as cdrom is loudest piece of equip which is nice, last extra system fan i bought was a leftover from an Apache chellywhopper.

CPU at 50-55 sys at 55-60.

kdjac

Ah, you can get some pretty quiet fans out there. Pabst come highly recommended. The Sharkoons I have are pretty quiet, and they come with a rheostat (dimmer switch ;)) that you can play with to get them really quiet. Or you can get a fan bus if you want to control a few fans from the from of the machine.

You've lots of choices. Have a look at HiTiDE for an idea of what you can get.

I think my graphics card is the loudest part of my rig, so I hope to change that soon... :)

Advertisement