Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

In car MP3

Options
  • 10-04-2004 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting a 20gig+ mp3 player for my punto but dont fancy just running a normal mp3 player into the radio or whatever, looking for a replacement for the radio.

On advice of a friend im thinking about going with
    http://www.ihavetohave.it/acatalog/Dension_hard_disk-based_head_units.html
    first unit on that page. Just said id post here before splashing out 400stg+ and see can any of ye guys here recommend cheaper / better alternatives.

Cheers for anything you can come up with.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Why don't you use a normal CD MP3 player, which gives aprox. 8hours of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Are there many cd based models that will allow me to browse into the cd, go to the folder i want and play a song, are there any that allow creating playlists ? (not just burning the cd in the order you want to listen to it, i like to have different playlists for different moods :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Ive heard of some crazy money for MP3 systems. Secure Sounds wanted 2000 for an in dash, and 1200 for a boot basesd system. Its defintly worth your while to get them abroad - Im going to try the states myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger
    Ive heard of some crazy money for MP3 systems. Secure Sounds wanted 2000 for an in dash, and 1200 for a boot basesd system. Its defintly worth your while to get them abroad - Im going to try the states myself

So 600e isnt bad for an indash ?
    (louie also has me looking more closely at cd based mp3 players, hell of a lot cheaper)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I have a kenwood cd based mp3 head unit, cost me €400, if you create and burn the the songs into folders then i believe it lets you pick whichever folder you want, there is a file name/select option on it but i've never actually used it so cant be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Purchased a Sony at christmas simply for the convience of playing Mp3. Payed e260 andd has to be the best purchase ever. Used Real player to rip my CD's to MP3 at the lowest sample rate ( 93 MB/sec I think) and have 17 album's on a burned disc with room for more. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

oh right, so if you burn the mp3's from the hd onto the cd in mp3 file format, then you get a hell of a lot more songs onto the cd, but they can only be played back by these mp3 cd players...

damn, if only I knew this before. I have about 20 cds in the car, each with only about 11 songs on each, thats all that would fit onto the cd as I was burning them so that they could be played on all cd players.

so anybody know whats a good mp3 cd player for the car? (budget around 200)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I got a panasonic from incarexpress.co.uk delivered to my door for about 165 Euro. It arrived within 2 days, sounds bloody great works a treat have it 9 months now. Best purchase of the year for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

so anybody know whats a good mp3 cd player for the car? (budget around 200)

Ando - not a chance, even a boot loader will set you back about 350 - 400 euro never mind a head unit (500+) - stick with the CD's.

Maybe i stand corrected.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

got the panasonic 383 mp3 player off incarexpress myself last year and happy with it. they are not selling it at the moment,but have jvc mp3/cd player for £105 ex shipping http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/redirect2.php3?cat=source&type=cdmp3&res=10
    .jes-computer.de have this one http://www.jes-computer.de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=15644
    for 85 eueo ex shipping
    if u wanna chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

ok, let me get this straight. With This Drive , I can burn aprox 130 mp3 songs (5megs each) in mp3 file format onto a cdr or cdrw. Simply put it into the drive and I'm laughing?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

if you use a bit rate of 160 kb/s you will be able to get 580 minutes of mp3 s onto a 700mb cd. i would not recommend going below that bit rate. i myself use 192 kb/s vbr and seems good quality. lameFE http://lamefe.sourceforge.net/ is a great program for converting your cd's to mp3 and its free. you can query the free db to get track listing for your cd when you are ripping your mp3.put your albums in seperate folders
    before burning your mp3 cd .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I use an Ipod with an IRock FM transmitter ($30 in the U.S.).
    No wires, great battery life, not limited to car use.

Canaboid - how did you get the transmitter to sync with the correct radio station? I have one started messing about with it but then lost the plot and left it to one side...would love to know how to get it set up properly.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Have a look at this site www.ssiamerica.com. I was looking for a car mp3 player recently and these guys were quick and helpful and reasonably cheap. My problem is that my car a Saab 9-3 won't link in directly and so I have to use the FM transmitter version which is holding me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Originally posted by DirtyDog
    Canaboid - how did you get the transmitter to sync with the correct radio station? I have one started messing about with it but then lost the plot and left it to one side...would love to know how to get it set up properly.

Cheers

It's got 4 presets, just tune the radio to whichever one.

Advertisement