Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Al Sadr's demands

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Er... I'm sorry... who said democracy wasn't a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Give me a second to compose myself... taking a deep breath now....
    I... agree... with... Sand.

You see, if you can keep on saying that then youll know youll always hold the correct, balanced, moral yet practical view on any issue or question. If in doubt, just say you agree with me - wont go wrong.
    what sorta system that would be half fair could be setup

Well if you dump democracy as we understand it - parlimentary, seperation of church and state, citizen subservient to the state - and you dont want to go the mad mullah route you could try elimination of the state and work through private property rights and local assemblies open to all residents to speak to decide on local issues, with the utmost defence of individual rights. The problem with that is its a nasty world and a demilitarised state like that would just be taken advantage of - and human beings arent willing to utterly defend individual rights and its not even wise to at all times.
    I would say that statements you have made in the past regarding other minorities are extremely pertinent in this situation here.

And youve still not provided a single example of these terrible things im supposed to have said.

Meanwhile your advocating that islamic fundamentalism is the only government muslims can function in - that theyre not capable of a seperation of church and state which is A) offensive B ) incorrect and C ) utter hypocrisy on your part.

"Sure there should be a "seperation" of religion and state, but realistically speaking you are going to find it VERY hard to implement that in ANY majority muslim nation that is a democracy."

Now if you want to keep on going down this line thats fine - Id prefer you address the points at hand rather than act as the patsy of another poster who cant get over a grudge but hey, its your thread. Drag it wherever the hell you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Originally posted by Sand
    You see, if you can keep on saying that then youll know youll always hold the correct, balanced, moral yet practical view on any issue or question. If in doubt, just say you agree with me - wont go wrong.

Hehe... thanks but I'll respectfully decline :)

Also you've done something interesting there and provided a sensible answer to a really rather odd question - I'm still not sure why chewy asked for an alternative to democracy... as far as I can tell no one has so far said that democracy should not be implemented... only that a fair Iraqi democracy does not necessarily have to be a Shia Islamic state. Personally I never suggested that Iraq shouldn't have democracy, I only questioned the definition of democracy as "The majority get what they want".

Advertisement