Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Offside Is it time to scrap it?

• 11-04-2004 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Having seen Uniteds first goal yeterday where Lois saha would have been yards offside under the old regulations he was considered onside I wonder is it time to scrap the offside rule all together.

Something definitely has to be done to clarify the offside situation. The Brum defender was intentionally playing saha off and had his arm raised to get the decision so even though he was on his way back IMO he was interfearing with play.

The offisde rule is so open to interpretation now that it is impossible to get consistance in decisions so I think it may be better to scrap it all together. They have done so in Hockey and the consensus is that it has led to a more open game , if it had the same effect on soccer I think it would be good for the game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

yep united first goal yesterday was a disgace. Saha was definitey intefering with play. The defender was actively looking for offside and saha was in the keepers eyeline. I think its about time the offside rule was scrapped altogether, but the powers that be rarely make good decisions like that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I think offside is a necessary evil. I think it should be a black & white decision though - any offside should be an offside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hang-on did we have another thread on this a month ago? Anyway the current rule is madness, if you're offside you're offside.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

In Nightowls league we have a strange offside rule that works, the pitch is marked for hockey so we have it split into 3, you can only be offisde when you enter the last 3rd(it really is a 3rd way pitch is marked) so defenders have to sit on the last line which spreads the players out and encourages passing football as a long ball has less chance of working due to surface.

It works very well and if you spectating you usualy see a good game of passing football as players kinda have space to pass the ball tru midfield.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Having seen Uniteds first goal yeterday where Lois saha would have been yards offside under the old regulations he was considered onside I wonder is it time to scrap the offside rule all together.

How about referees just stop favouring United on the matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't know about outside is offside.
    I really don't like this new rule, as I feel it isn't set in stone enough.

Saha for example was clearly interferrring with play, theres no way the defenders weren't acting around him so he must have been.

The argument is that if you're on the pitch you're interferring with play.

My example where I don't think it would be offside is if the ball is hoofed up the right wing to the right winger, but there is someone on the left wing who is slightly offside. I don't think this is fair.

The sections of the pitch is good, but how would you really solve all of these problems. A 4th bloody referee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    How about referees just stop favouring United on the matter?
    great contribution there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

The new offside rule is ridicilious the easy decision would be video evidence, in a way that wouldnt slow play down.

i.e; like the advantage rule the ref will let it go until the video evidence panel tell him its offside, or its a pentaly or whatever.

Or maybe it should just be used for offsides as that way it also stops players {see man utd -vs- west ham, di canio goal} sitting around looking for a decision with their arms raised in which my opinion is worse than doing the raise your hand for a booking as surely thats more interfering with the ref than asking the ref to book someone.

The only problem is a lot of teams would be really screwed with that rule, like Arsenal as Henry is really the main man at bringing up these debates on offside or onside. It needs to be cleared up asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

they could have the 2 assitants sitting looking at cameras that are in line with the last man (not including keeper). It would be fairly real time with maybe a second look for goals. Tho of course this would only be done in the top divisions as it would probably be costly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

I say just bring it back to the old offside rule, less confusion.
    Also, they need to get rid of some of these linesmen or re-train them or something - almost every match you see ridiculous offside decisions.
    They are aso meant to be assistant referees but you often have a situation that the linesman had a clear view of but he is no help to the ref at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement