Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 awful gprs service?

Options
  • 11-04-2004 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Is any other o2 customer here suffering from abysmal grps service? I haven't been able to connect for days, another person in my house has an o2 phone with the same problem. I've deleted my profiles and reinstalled them (using the text the o2 site sends to your phone), but I keep getting errors like server cannot be found.
    This is also affecting receiving MMS....I was sent an MMS yesterday afternoon and was only able to successfully download the photo at 5am this morning, when I also was graciously given about 3 minutes on GPRS (checking if it worked), before it fell over again.
    My signal is always at least 3 bars, so it's not that.
    Several people on irc have told me they're having the same problems.

WTF is going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Generaly the service is reliable enough so it must be something to do with a site in your location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

I also find the o2 gprs service totally unreliable.

For some reason ALL my MMS messages have stopped arriving at their destination. I can still receive them though...

Very annoying. No settings have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

i had the same problem; no gprs for about 3 days and could only receive an mms this morning, also! - fecking annoying!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Yeah I'm about 3 days as well...

I think I'll ring the fooks now and ask what's up.

Just spoke to them. MMS and GPRS is down. They don't know when it will be back up and running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

I find it's constantly terrible.
    Comes and goes all the time.
    Nothing to do with my reception either
    Get GPRS when I have 1 or 2 bars and dont get it with 5 sometimes???

Just O2's GPRS stinks and is VERY unreliable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    Just spoke to them. MMS and GPRS is down. They don't know when it will be back up and running.

Thanks for the update :)
    Their GPRS service in the UK is fantastic, it works constantly and I have noticed it's much faster than GPRS in Ireland is (when it's working).
    I can now get onto GPRS (albeit very slowly), but still can't access my email on my T610. It says 'server not found'. :0/

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I would not depend upon anything less than 5-bar GPRS signal strength with O2. I live in an area of poor O2 coverage and GPRS is dire. We have no new masts to deface the scenery--comes hand-in-glove with shoddy GPRS signal strength.

more: http://irish.typepad.com/irisheyes/2004/02/nokia_d211_o2_g.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I got a happy easter media message from them the other day but I was only able to recieve it 2 days later when the message had almost expired.I'd say I wasnt able to get it there and then because of so many other people trying to use the mms service.

MMS is back up.

About time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

it's a piece of p!ss alright, I took part in a survey a few weeks ago with that marketing crowd, tns mrbi (or something along those lines) on o2 customer service and this was one of my topics in my hour long rant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

most of my usage would be with their GPRS ISP (internet) access point - have experienced a couple of outages over the last two years but not very often - majority of the time when i connect up it works grand

don't really MMS at all so can't comment on that though

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭pleba

I had no MMS problems over the weekend (and I send a lot!)
    The only times when I was unable to send an MMS was when there were GPRS issues but what I did once or twice was to change my MMS carrier to CSD and I was able to MMS successfully. I think there may have been issues with GPRS alright but I noticed no MMS problems. Obviously if you cant access GPRS then you cant also send an MMS

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

same here. was almost non-existent over the easter weekend, but tbh from my point of view I'm not goig to say anything cos at the moment I've not been charged for GPRS usage at all from what I can see, and I've been using it quite a bit for web, and email.

i have an unusual set up though, which might account for it. had to get them to do something special to even get GPRS working in the first place. not mentioning what it is though in case any o2 spies are on boards who might put a stop to it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I have some strange experiences with 02 GPRS. One thing for sure is that the network isn't particularly homogeneous. What works fine with one basestation may work erratically with another. I think they must have different equipment types, or different software at the various locations.

I also have to say that some of the billing looks a bit funky too.

antoin.

Advertisement