Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do i need for wireless network(2 machines)

• 11-04-2004 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Ok ive broadband on downstairs PC.
    And integrated wi fi on my LAPTOP upstairs.
    Want to use the net upstairs so :

Do i just need a wifi card for my pc ?
    And if so does reception vary from card to card, because my friend said he got 2 for 2 laptops and it was crap .

My room is above the Pc room, so the signal would just pass through the glass door and through my rooms glass window.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

You should get a wireless router or/and access point. It probably depends how thick you walls are but most routers should be able to handle it I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 zakumara

Hi,

I am thinking of buying an ASUSTeK A7N8X-E Deluxe Wireless Edition, I alos have a integrated Wifi laptop, do I need an access point ? Can I do some peer to peer between the 2 without have to use router/switch ?

Thanks
    Zak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭thomj42

if you only have 2 machines, you can create a peer to peer wifi network using just a wifi card on each pc, and share the internet connection from one of the machines. The range is limited here, so you may get problems depending on the layout of your houses, also it means that the PC with the net connection needs to be turned on for the other one to get online
    this option is worth tryin tho, because if it works u can save yourself the price of a router.
    if u have more than 2 machines, or if the range is too low, buy a wifi router and put it somewhere central in your house. simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 zakumara

searching on the asus web site I stumble upon that :

http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/event/wifiHome/index.html

good information on explaining it. the mother has a specail slot that can be use to connect expansion card with antenna to become an AP.

Advertisement