Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle v Arsenal (scores)

• 11-04-2004 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Ok thread title kinda lies cause there was none :) but good game nonetheless. I thought a draw was a fair result in the end. Arsenal had the best chances probably (Reyes header and Henry when he rounded Given) but Newcastle I thought played some of the better football plus Lehmann did make a good save from Bellamy.

Few things I noticed during the match:

(i) on about 55 mins Reyes ran through on goal alongside O'Brien, Given came out and smothered it. O'Brien helped Reyes up and gave him a kiss lol!

(ii) Lehmann nearly handled the ball outside the area with about 5 mins to go, would've been straight red.

(iii) Lehmann risked getting a booking when he bitched to the ref after bumping into Toure after a corner. Temperament needs to be sorted cause it wasn't the only time in the game he over-reacted. Didn't really see it but he got in a tussle with Shearer later in the game that resulted in more bitching.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I agree with most of that... I dunno about Newcastle playing the better football though, neither side was particularily impressive in that respect i thought. Arsenal's midfield was somewhat unorthodox and didn't really function as a unit very well.

lol, didn't know O'Brien gave Reyes a kiss, Speed trying to make love to Gilberto in the first half was very funny though, indeed it was about the most entertaining thing i saw all half :dunno: (apart from Bellamys chance and Reyes's lovely bit of ball-juggling).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Newcastle started off well but then gifted Arse possession. Henry should have scored in the second half but the touch let him down, in hindsight he should have squared it to Reyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Close game , Bellamys flick was excelllent and reyes juggling skills too. Henry just knocked the ball abit far and teh angle was just too tight. I Misssed the smoochies too, I must pay more attention in Future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Watched the game, pretty tight affair I thought. The bumpy pitch didn't help the flow of the game at all. Henry should have probably squared that one-on-one to Reyes. José should have buried the header chance he had, poor effort really. So long as Newcastle keep dropping points I'll be content. The 'Pool are bound to go on a run of wins now to cement their position of 4th place. Gotta stay positive. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Space Coyote
    So long as Newcastle keep dropping points I'll be content. The 'Pool are bound to go on a run of wins now to cement their position of 4th place. Gotta stay positive. :rolleyes:

Indeedy. Dead level again I think...?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Was hoping Liverpool would keep the point advantage alright but it is still close and the goal difference will hopefully do it for us :)

I think Arsenal should have won it for the pair of chances that they had but fair play to Newcastle, they held out and I think that Woodgate deserved MOTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    I think that Woodgate deserved MOTM [/B]

Agreed. He was outstanding, good to see him getting back to form, I hope he makes the cut for Euro2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

pretty dull game, not much action and far too little space all over the pitch. both teams wanted to win it and that made it very tense and scrappy.

amazing the amount of time the ball was up in the air. reyes and henry in particular could never get it down at their feet and it always seemed to hang in the air and slow the play down.

wiltord should have buried that chance as should reyes with the header. reyes was too easily knocked of the ball imo today. if newcastle hadn't of panicked by giving away possesion cheaply and passed the ball about instead arsenal were there for the taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Twas a dull game alright.

Still though a good point for the gunners. St James park aint an easy place to go. Wiltord and Reyes should have scored :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Well, it kept me entertained on a dull Sunday. It could have been a lot worse for us pool fans. Even though Liverpool conceded four against Arsenal on Friday, I take some satisfaction in that at least they were able to put two past the best team in Britain. Hopefully, they'll win their next six and other teams will keep Newcastle at bay for us :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Just thinkin back I thought Jenas had a superb game in midfield.

As for the race for fourth place its really interesting. Obviously Liverpool/Newcastle are faves but there are teams right back nearly as far as ninth who could be in with a chance. Some have games in hand too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

It was probably Lehmann's best game for Arsenal.

An excellent save in the first few minutes and got every cross he came for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Good point for the Toon :) . Liverpool are 1 up on goal Difference ( so that dosent count for much ) . But they do have an easier run in ( i beleive )

Newcastle for 4th place and to win the uefa cup :) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I take some satisfaction in that at least they were able to put two past the best team in Britain.

Er . . don't you mean England ???

A good match I thought, Newcastle were well up for it and were unfortunate not to steal it. Henry could have done better with the couple of chances he had buthis partnership with Reyes seems to be coming good.

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

It was probably Lehmann's best game for Arsenal.
    I agree with you here, he looked a lot more comfortable on crosses and corners than recently. He still has temper problems though, had a go at shearer for no reason after he tumbled over him, but in fairness shearer was then trying to wind him up.

Reyes was poor imo. He sprints after everything which looks good, but when he gets there he loses possession way to easily. He didn't display any real composure and awareness of his fellow team mates. Plus he squandered the best chance of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Er . . don't you mean England ???

He probably meant England but to be fair they are the best in Britain.

Advertisement