Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

piercings and giving blood

• 11-04-2004 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

i'm pretty eager to get some piercings done, and i have been for a while, but the only problem is, i like to give blood regularly and i know i'm supposed to leave it for a year afterwards.

do anyone know is this simply from the risk of infection due to improper hygiene when piercing or does it have anything to do with the piercing itself?

i was wondering if i could get blood tests done afterwards to prove im clean and show them when im going to give blood again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afaik, it's purely to do with the fact that piercing isn't regulated in Ireland, so the risk, however slight, of someone contracting a blood disease from a unhygenic piercer and passing it on through donated blood, is what holds it back. As for being tested, and showing them you're clean, I dunno tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Seraphina

i was wondering if i could get blood tests done afterwards to prove im clean and show them when im going to give blood again.

No, they don't make exceptions. I can't give blood in Ireland EVER, because i've lived in Northern Ireland in the 80's (CJD risks)...it's ridiculous, the rule so many people out of donating, is it any wonder there's such a shortage of blood units in the country?
    I now give blood when i'm visiting relatives in Belfast, if the Irish blood bank doesn't want my blood i'll give it to whoever I can.

It's strange none of the rules which apply to giving blood in Ireland apply to being an organ donor in Ireland..eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

but ****in stupid really, they wont accept blood from homosexuals either, or anyone who's ever been with another man (or a woman who's been with a man who was with a man) even though the highest rate of std's in ireland is currently among heterosexual women...
    ah well i'll give blood and get my piercings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i'm not allowed give blood either since i lived in england in the 80s... They're so strict on whos allowed give blood that most of the population of ireland isn't eligible.

probably better to be safe than sorry in the long run though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

but ****in stupid really, they wont accept blood from homosexuals either, or anyone who's ever been with another man (or a woman who's been with a man who was with a man) even though the highest rate of std's in ireland is currently among heterosexual women...

Yeah but it's much easier for a gay man to catch HIV and other blood borne diseases, the blood board can't just say yes or no based on statistics.
    You also can't give blood here if you've ever had sex with an African person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If you have unprotected sex with a prostitute or develop a heroin addiction and spend your time behind a bus shelter sharing dirty needles with your addict friends you're banned for 12 months.

If you have protected sex with another man (it could even be your certified std free long-term boyfriend) you're banned for life.

Not exactly fair is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

(or a woman who's been with a man who was with a man)

Actually, I think in that case she gets a 12 month ban and then she's allowed again.

even though the highest rate of std's in ireland is currently among heterosexual women...
    ah well i'll give blood and get my piercings.

Not correct. The highest rate of HIV is amongst heterosexual women and 99-100% of them are non-nationals. They are women that come from sub-saharan countries who have arrived as refugees.

The highest group with HIV if you only count Irish people is gay men and if you use the liberal figure of 10% of the population being gay it means theres a far greater chance of getting HIV if you are gay, but still they do discriminate against gay men by banning them for life. When they were quizzed on it at a recent debate in UCC they just referenced a World Health Organisation document.

They are being super paranoid now because in fairness look at all the innocents they killed in the very recent past. There are lots of dead women after they gave them Hep C and there are a lot of dead haemophiliacs too on their conscience.

I think Australia is the only country that doesn't give lifelong bans for homosexual sex.

Hep B infection is also highest amongst gay men and syphillis too as far as I know. I'm so proud to be a gay man after typing that.

:dunno:

So in conclusion after that rant, you can either stop giving blood for a year or lie about the piercings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

Afaik, it's purely to do with the fact that piercing isn't regulated in Ireland, so the risk, however slight, of someone contracting a blood disease from a unhygenic piercer and passing it on through donated blood

Afrid it's not so slight. There are a few 1000's people in Ireland (Mainly in Dublin) who have Hep C, which is severl times order of magnatude more infectious then HIV.

If someone is not properly autoclaving all of there equipment Hep C could easily be passed on.

Just think how many cheap tacky places are still using a piercing guns and not taking all the nescasary procedures in between people. That places in Geroges St arcade for one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

ahh all good points, but in the end they should be using a disposable needle on me, and tbh if they're not, i wont be letting them pierce me. i suppose its a good idea as not everyone is that responsible and in the end its them thats losing out turning down my perfectly good blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

So whats the limit on tattoos? Is it basically the same or longer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No giving blood for a year after having a tattoo

Advertisement